[Solved] TRILLION Cycles In Tiny Document

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Pugilist_Puppy

[Solved] TRILLION Cycles In Tiny Document

Post by Pugilist_Puppy »

I had to Google to find out the correct terminology for one thousand Bilion and find it is a Trillion, or two in my case.

I've got a problem with a tiny spreadsheet that takes forever to open or edit. Normally even large spreadsheets open instantly and can be edited and operated blisteringly fast. It's got similar content to many others and details are;

It contains only text, numbers and a few cells with coloured backgrounds and no formulas.
I've confirmed with Navigator that there are no Linked Areas, Graphics, OLE Objects or Drawing Objects.
The size of all my similar sheets come in at around 26KB, strangely this shows as 1,056KB.
I've scanned it with anti-virus.
I've attached the startling properties screenshot from Process Explorer that shows over 2 Trillion cycles!

Other spreadsheets are opening as normal and i have no issues with any other Open Office Suite applications nor anything else on my computer. I've also increased all the parameters in tools>options>memory. Computer memory is fine.

Does anyone have any idea as to what likely could be causing the problem and point me in the right direction to investigate further please. Again i'm clear on AV and i can't see anything hidden away that is working away open ended and slowing it down.

As ever huge thanks in advance of assistance.

(I've not listed version and OS etc as it's only affecting the one spreadsheet so not likely to be relevant information???)
Attachments
TrillionCycles.jpg
Last edited by robleyd on Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7 Home Premium
robleyd

Re: TRILLION Cycles In Tiny Document

Post by robleyd »

Maybe your spreadsheet is bigger than you think it is; for example, where does Ctrl + End take you on the various sheets of your file?

Can you make the problematic file available on a file-sharing site such as MediaFire? Anonymise information if needed as per the advice in [Forum] How to attach a document here.

OS and version might be relevant, particularly if your signature is correct; if it isn't, please consider updating your signature.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

A wild guess: Have your spreadsheet file at any one time been opened in Microsoft Excel?
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In addition to Keme's query: and/or been Saved in .xls format?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Pugilist_Puppy

Post by Pugilist_Puppy »

RoryOF wrote:In addition to Keme's query: and/or been Saved in .xls format?
keme wrote:A wild guess: Have your spreadsheet file at any one time been opened in Microsoft Excel?
Negative to both, thanks anyway.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Then, as a quick guess, there may be some miss-entered formula causing recursion. But hands-on of an actual file is the quickest solution.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Pugilist_Puppy

Post by Pugilist_Puppy »

robleyd wrote:Maybe your spreadsheet is bigger than you think it is; for example, where does Ctrl + End take you on the various sheets of your file?

Can you make the problematic file available on a file-sharing site such as MediaFire? Anonymise information if needed as per the advice in [Forum] How to attach a document here.

OS and version might be relevant, particularly if your signature is correct; if it isn't, please consider updating your signature.
It contains personal information of people with disabilities that i help out so i wouldn't post it anywhere at all. Anyways......

Wow the cause of this surely must go down as a warning of a potential banana skin to all new users. I don't know how in all the years i've used Calc extensively that i haven't fallen foul of it before, i'm astonished at how easily i could have done it but never have

I first tried your suggestion of using Ctrl + End to check the size of the sheet - i'll certainly remember that as a tip in future thank you. After waiting i gave up as it seemingly didn't do anything and i haven't got time for it to fulfill it's task. However your mention of checking the size of the sheet led me to a Eureka moment. I often 'merge' cells around blocks of data for appearance purposes and instant comprehension at a glance and the cause of the problem dawned on me. The sheet consisted of 42 rows and 49 columns, at each side i had merged the cells to create a nice clear border......sure enough i inadvertently merged them right to the very depths of the sheet (infinity? lol). The sheet now opens, as you can imagine with it's small size, absolutely instantly.

Can't believe i haven't slipped up with such a merge before as i use the feature heavily and have always done so. I'm guessing instead of the top cell of the columns of 42 cells i wanted to merge i've accidentally click on the column header? that has then merged the whole column to the end.

Thank You very much for setting me on the right path and a quick solution well appreciated. Hopefully when other users search for a slow spreadsheet they will find this thread and it is a solution for them too.
Last edited by Pugilist_Puppy on Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pugilist_Puppy

Post by Pugilist_Puppy »

RoryOF wrote:Then, as a quick guess, there may be some miss-entered formula causing recursion. But hands-on of an actual file is the quickest solution.
As i mentioned there are no formulas whatsoever, but see above for cause and solution, thank you.