[Solved] Calc Chart is very small

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Razi

[Solved] Calc Chart is very small

Post by Razi »

I have a new install of OO 4.1.6, went to create a chart as I have done many times in the past, but as soon as I leave the node editor the chart appears super small even though the bounding box is the proper size. If I go to edit the chart the chart appears full size and fine, but shrinks again as soon as I leave the edit mode.

I've fiddle with this for long enough and reinstalled OO, but the same things occurs.

OpenOffice 4.1.6 / Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for any help, file is attached.
Attachments
chart test.ods
(12.02 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Last edited by Razi on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrProgrammer

Re: Calc Chart is very small

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Razi wrote:I have a new install of OO 4.1.6, went to create a chart as I have done many times in the past, but as soon as I leave the node editor the chart appears super small even though the bounding box is the proper size
Your chart appears to be incomplete because it has no data. I see no data in your attachment. Create data, then create the chart. If you need further assistance, attach the spreadsheet with data and explain the exact series of steps you use to create the chart.
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 14.09.49 .png
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Razi

Re: Calc Chart is very small

Post by Razi »

Thank for the welcome and reply.

Well... I added data to that chart and it stayed small. As an experiment I recreated the steps on a second sheet, with data, and got the same small result.

Those steps were:
1. Insert chart -> finish
2. create simple data table
3. Edit chart
4. Add data range -> finish

I thought I might as well try create the data table first, then the chart, and the chart worked properly, it did not shrink. I then tried the above steps one more time on a new sheet and mysteriously the chart worked properly and did not shrink... I would upload this file with the two other charts but OO crashed on me.

Anyways, 'tis a little quirky and unpredictable, but I seem to be getting normal sized charts at the moment.
Attachments
chart test.ods
Original file with data
(13.69 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Birchbones

Re: [Solved] Calc Chart is very small

Post by Birchbones »

Hi, I may have found a possible fix for the problem.
I've been struggling with scatter charts that shrink when they're not being edited, just like Razi, and I can't find much about it. Today I saw that the small preview of the chart/graph had text in the bottom right corner, opposite of the top left chart. The text was small, but looked a lot like a legend. I tried deleting the legend through the right click dropdown, and that fixed the chart.

So, if anyone else is having trouble with this, try editing the chart, right clicking on some empty space and select "Delete Legend". The legend can be re-added afterward with no continued problem.
AOO 4.1.13 - Windows 10 Home
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Calc Chart is very small

Post by Lupp »

The chart attached to the first post of "Razi" didn't tell anything because the document didn't contain any data. Also the entry 'DataRanges' was void. This wasn't even a zombie of an object.
The next attachment contained a few data, But the data was probably inserted when the chart object was already incurably mutilated.

Nearly 4 years later we shouldn't base new suggestions on the old reports.
Concerning charts LibreOffice (the more vital branch of "our" software) made some progress (aside of useless new toy types).
One of the most important new features is that copies of charts based entirely on internal data tables -created with Writer e.g.- can now be linked to data in the new environment after insertion into a spreadsheet.
If you often need charts, give LibO a try, probably.

(My faint guess concerniung the original qestion was that the chart had a CV including Copy/Paste operations.)
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München