[Solved] Inventory Spreadsheet with pictures

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Stargazer86

[Solved] Inventory Spreadsheet with pictures

Post by Stargazer86 »

So I'm attempting to create a spreadsheet for my a small business/hobby inventory. I have a bunch of mixed, unique items so I want to add a column with pictures that show me exactly what each one is. So I use insert - Picture- From File, and that works fine, but I'm having an issue where the picture shows up larger than it actually is. A 2 inch wide picture initially shows up as 3 inches wide and I have no idea why. I'd like to not have to resize each and every picture I'm inserting. Is there a default size setting somewhere that I'm not seeing?
Last edited by Stargazer86 on Sat May 25, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: Inventory Spreadsheet with pictures

Post by MrProgrammer »

Stargazer86 wrote:I have a bunch of mixed, unique items so I want to add a column with pictures that show me exactly what each one is. So I use insert - Picture- From File, and that works fine, but …
You will find it difficult to work with pictures in an OpenOffice speadsheet. You can't put them in a cell; they are attached to an independent graphics layer. So, for example, when you sort the rows of a sheet, nothing happens to the pictures. You have two choices.
• For a spreadsheet, put the pictures in a folder, then create a hyperlink in a cell to the image in the folder. You can't see the image from the spreadsheet, but you can double-click to open it.
• For a database, which can display the picture and also information about it, read Insert Images from Path.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri May 24, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Just for completeness: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Rel ... 6.1#Images
Since V6.1 LibO Calc includes images which are anchored to cells when the cells are afflicted by sorting.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Stargazer86

Post by Stargazer86 »

MrProgrammer wrote:
Stargazer86 wrote:I have a bunch of mixed, unique items so I want to add a column with pictures that show me exactly what each one is. So I use insert - Picture- From File, and that works fine, but …
You will find it difficult to work with pictures in an OpenOffice speadsheet. You can't put them in a cell; they are attached to an independent graphics layer. So, for example, when you sort the rows of a sheet, nothing happens to the pictures. You have two choices.
• For a spreadsheet, put the pictures in a folder, then create a hyperlink in a cell to the image in the folder. You can't see the image from the spreadsheet, but you can double-click to open it.
• For a database, which can display the picture and also information about it, read Insert Images from Path.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Can I use a database for a business inventory as well? Sorry if it's a dumb question but, well, never really done this sort of thing before.
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Stargazer86 wrote:Can I use a database for a business inventory as well?
Search in Base forum found 352 matches: +inventory
If you want to ask further questions about a database do that in the Base forum. This forum is for Calc.

Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).