Blank spreadsheet (!)

Discuss the spreadsheet application

Blank spreadsheet (!)

Postby mammaanna » Tue May 07, 2019 5:37 am

Hello all,

I have had Open Office for about a year and a half. Today it asked me to register (First, Last name and initial), I did this, then it said something about Text Inport. Once I click OK, it opens up with nothing in the spreadsheet and none of the tabs. I feel like I've lost all my work. Excel won't open the .ods file and the file in my desktop folder is still saying that it's 501kb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
mammaanna

Re: Blank spreadsheet (!)

Postby FJCC » Tue May 07, 2019 6:10 am

The file is damaged and likely unrecoverable. Here is a tutorial on possible methods of recovering temporary versions: https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038
It was written for Writer but also applies to spreadsheets.
Windows 10 and Linux Mint, since 2017
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Re: Blank spreadsheet (!)

Postby RoryOF » Tue May 07, 2019 9:57 am

A file that opens as ### is damaged - possibly because of over-hasty power off of the computer before the internal buffers in the hard drive had written to disk. Experience tells us that there will be no usable content within the file - the size of file you see is due to housekeeping information, not usable data.

Follow the methods FJCC pointed to. Do this as soon as possible.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Calc