Copy and paste part of a column

Discuss the spreadsheet application
mukiduk

Copy and paste part of a column

Post by mukiduk »

I am trying to copy part of a colume of numbers in my calc spreadsheet so I can add them up but trh resulting pasted list is a photo. That is all the numbers are selected with a border around them so I cannot add them. Can some one tell my why this is happening.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Ubuntu
FJCC

Re: Copy and paste part of a column

Post by FJCC »

I have only seen that when pasting from Calc to Writer. Are you pasting into the same Calc document, another Calc document or something else? What steps exactly are you taking?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
mukiduk

Post by mukiduk »

i am using oo calc 4.1 on a windows 7 machine and I am copying from a large calc file onto a new calc document so I can all just add these few numbers but when I open the new document there is a ring around all the numbers so they will not add.I am copying if from an excel file because I had trouble with OO calc at the time I made the file which was a few years ago. So I saved it as a xls file. DO you think that if I saved the file as an ODS again, I will be able to add a few entries? I only save my calc files as xls because I belong to a computer club populated with microsoft slaves who will not even try open office.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Ubuntu
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

The format a file is saved in should not affect the behavior of OpenOffice once the file is open. I cannot account for the behavior you are seeing. What happens if you make a new Calc file and try to copy from that to another Calc file. If that works, then your problem is associated with your source file. If the problem persists with a new file, then something is wrong with Calc. Please try the experiment and let us know.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.