Auto-filter for non-empty and containing string

Discuss the spreadsheet application
DynV

Auto-filter for non-empty and containing string

Post by DynV »

I have 2 different problems related to auto-filter, I'll bring them in order of priority. For the 2 different type of columns I'd like auto-filter to:
  1. treat all non-empty cells as if it had the same thing; thus show me a single choice (in the auto-filter selection list) and upon its selection would filter out all rows which that column is empty.
  2. treat all cells content that is not a certain string as if it wasn't there; thus show me a single choice, that particular string and upon its selection would filter out all cells not containing it. ie: A for certain string, B C A, C D A, B D, C E, D A, B E, E A, and the selection list would contain A and upon its selection would only show the rows which that column have B C A, C D A, D A, E A.
Thank you kindly
Je suis francophone.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: auto-filter for non-empty and containing string

Post by Villeroy »

Install https://libreoffice.org/ which is the successor of OpenOffice. Its Calc component has more advanced auto-filters among many other goodies and some questionable features.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RusselB

Re: auto-filter for non-empty and containing string

Post by RusselB »

An alternative to installing LibreOffice, is to use the Standard Filter rather than Auto-Filter.
The Standard Filter has a lot more options and control over how the filter is applied, and several filters can be configured to work simultaneously on the same data.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.