Auto-filter for non-empty and containing string

Discuss the spreadsheet application

Auto-filter for non-empty and containing string

Postby DynV » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:45 pm

I have 2 different problems related to auto-filter, I'll bring them in order of priority. For the 2 different type of columns I'd like auto-filter to:
  1. treat all non-empty cells as if it had the same thing; thus show me a single choice (in the auto-filter selection list) and upon its selection would filter out all rows which that column is empty.
  2. treat all cells content that is not a certain string as if it wasn't there; thus show me a single choice, that particular string and upon its selection would filter out all cells not containing it. ie: A for certain string, B C A, C D A, B D, C E, D A, B E, E A, and the selection list would contain A and upon its selection would only show the rows which that column have B C A, C D A, D A, E A.
Thank you kindly
AOO414m5 on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. Je suis francophone.
DynV

Re: auto-filter for non-empty and containing string

Postby Villeroy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:55 pm

Install https://libreoffice.org/ which is the successor of OpenOffice. Its Calc component has more advanced auto-filters among many other goodies and some questionable features.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: auto-filter for non-empty and containing string

Postby RusselB » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:51 am

An alternative to installing LibreOffice, is to use the Standard Filter rather than Auto-Filter.
The Standard Filter has a lot more options and control over how the filter is applied, and several filters can be configured to work simultaneously on the same data.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 and LibreOffice 6.0.6.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Return to Calc