[Solved] SUMs from multiple sheets filtered by category

Discuss the spreadsheet application
yoyopoc

[Solved] SUMs from multiple sheets filtered by category

Post by yoyopoc »

Hi everyone,
Forgive me but I am an artist and have little knowledge of spreadsheets, my problem is.
I'm trying to get yearly sum totals from my monthly expenses from my openoffice spreadsheet, 12 sheets, 1 for each month and I need to create a master sheet with totals for each of my expenses categories, for example "Insurance" which is a category in my expenses categories in column G and its monetary value is held in column D. I've searched VLOOKUP in a hope of finding my way but as you can see from this example"=VLOOKUP(SHEET(april);AREAS(april.A2:G27);MATCH("Insurance" ))" I am hopeless, I'm intellegent enough to be able to move forward through all my yearly totals if I can only get one category sumtotal to work, help :shock:
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.1, MAC OS 10.13.6
FJCC

Re: SUM totals from multiple sheets filtered by category

Post by FJCC »

You can use the SUMIF() function. Something like

Code: Select all

=SUMIF(Sheet1.G1:G100;"Insurance";Sheet1.D1:D100)
I also suggest that you not spread your data over 12 sheets. That makes calculations like this more difficult. Humans like data organized on different sheets but computers like it all in one place.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
yoyopoc

Re: SUM totals from multiple sheets filtered by category

Post by yoyopoc »

Many thanks for your help FJCC this works perfectly, I'll copy all entries into a single sheet and weed out the human touch in future again many thanks from a novice. :bravo:
robleyd

Re: [Solved] SUMs from multiple sheets filtered by category

Post by robleyd »

Once you have organised your data into a single sheet you can also use Pivot Tables to summarise your data.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
yoyopoc

Re: [Solved] SUMs from multiple sheets filtered by category

Post by yoyopoc »

Hi robleyd,
Thanks for the pointer, I'll look into pivot table tutorials.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers :D