[Solved] Adding data to existing CSV document

Discuss the spreadsheet application
bobbert

[Solved] Adding data to existing CSV document

Post by bobbert »

HELP! Each month i build on my CSV file by adding another months worth of data. I download the new file, COPY it and attempt to to paste it into my existing file. It adds it, i save it, but when i go back in the new data isn't there????? Anyone have any idea what i'm doing wrong?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Rob
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Adding data to existing CSV document

Post by Zizi64 »

Editing a pure .csv file not request either of the Apache OpenOffice nor the LibreOffice Edit it by the simpliest notepad. Just copy/paste the new content, and save it as .csv file.

...In the other way you need import a .csv file into the Open/LibreOffice Calc, then you will able edit it cell-by-cell, and finally you must save (export) it as .csv file.
But it is better to store your important documents in the native, international standard ODF file types.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Always save all your spreadsheet files as .ods files and never as .csv files. If you need a .csv file for some reason then save a copy of your .ods file as a .csv file.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files where .csv files are similar to .txt or .rtf files.

Is it a size problem? How many rows do you have in your .csv file?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
bobbert

Post by bobbert »

Thank you John.......you've just made life so much easier for me.
Rob