[Solved] Almost There - IF Statement

Discuss the spreadsheet application
quarkrad

[Solved] Almost There - IF Statement

Post by quarkrad »

The attached shows how much to add to a unit price of £80, £4 if the drop down in A7 is "good". I would like to add to the formula in E5 such that if A7 is changed to "bad" then D3 is added to B3. I've tried a number of variants but no luck so far.
Attachments
if.ods
(9.53 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
libreoffice 5.4.1.2 on ubuntu 16.04
quarkrad

Re: Almost There - IF Statement

Post by quarkrad »

Not sure if this is the most effective but =IF(A7="good",B3+C3,IF(A7="bad",B3+D3)) appears to work.
jeffs12

Post by jeffs12 »

If A7 is ALWAYS and ONLY "good" or "bad", you don't need the nested IF() statement; a simple =IF(A7="good";B3+C3;B3+D3) is all you need. The result is that any value (or lack of value) in A7, other than "good", will result in B3+D3.
If A7 may be blank, or some other value, use your nested IF() statement, but add the otherwise parameter after the B3+D3 to display what you want in E5 if A7 is neither "good" nor "bad".
AOO 4.1.13 on M$ Windows 7/10/11
quarkrad

Post by quarkrad »

Thank you very much - I think I'm beginning to understand this LITTLE bit. Appreciate your help.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

A slight re-write of jeffs12's code, just to give you another option, could be

Code: Select all

=B3+if(A7="good";C3;D3)
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

if the first argument evaluates to TRUE then return the second argument (if_true) value, otherwise return the third argument (if_false) value:
IF(condition ; if_true ; if_false)
nested, branching from the false:
IF(condition1 ; if1_true ; IF(condition2 ; if2_true ; if2_false))
or branching from the true:
IF(condition1 ; IF(condition2 ; if2_true ; if2_false) ; if1_false)

In your formula which branches from the false:
IF(A7="good" ; B3+C3 ; IF(A7="bad" ; B3+D3))
the if2_false is missing. The inner IF has only 2 arguments as in:
IF(condition ; if_true )
When the third argument to IF is missing, the function returns FALSE (equivalent to 0) in case of false as you can see when you put anything else A7 that is not "good" or "bad".

Personally, I try my best to avoid any use of IF. And I avoid words with special meanings such as "good" or "bad". They add unnecessary complexity.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice