[Solved] Keeping a cell calculation static if other data...

Discuss the spreadsheet application
freshbread

[Solved] Keeping a cell calculation static if other data...

Post by freshbread »

Hi folks.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help. I did try and search to see if my question had been answered but it was hard to know what terms to use.

I am trying to understand if it is possible to make a formula calculate a value in a cell once, based on data from other cells, say at the time data is entered into another cell in that same row, and have the new cell's data remain static so that if I change something in another cell that was used to arrive at the solution the initial solution would stay the same.

To try and put in context of what I am doing exactly, some top rows have figures of how much is in an account currently, how much is pending to be added etc. The individual entry rows below have single transactions which allocate money into and deduct from separate funds. I have a cell toward the end of the row that compares the funds and how much there is supposed to be against how much there is in the sources above (which changes.) Every time I make a new entry on a new row I would like a record of what the difference was at the time I entered new information to compare it historically, what it was at the time, so it will still be there when I update the top row figures.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks folks.

Using Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 Pro.
Last edited by freshbread on Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
(Version1809 Build 17763.379)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Keeping a cell calculation static if other data changes?

Post by Zizi64 »

I am trying to understand if it is possible to make a formula calculate a value in a cell once, based on data from other cells,
There is not regular way to achieve this task in a spreadsheet applications. All of the formulas will be recalculated at opening the file. You can switch off this feature, but then then all of the formulas will not be recalculated at the opening. You can not switch off/on the recalculation procedure cell by cell.

You can play the iteration (circular reference) feature, but the built-in iteration feature was not developed for that task.

You must use some other ways (for example macro subroutines) to place a permanent time stamp (or other permanent data) based on the content of other cells, into a specific cell automatically.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
freshbread

Re: Keeping a cell calculation static if other data changes?

Post by freshbread »

Thanks a lot for the thoughtful reply!

I can just manually do what I want to do without TOO much trouble, just thought it would be worth a try to ask. It's not important enough to spend the time learning to do 'some other ways.'

As that seems to be the final word on the subject I will mark it as solved. :) Thanks again.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
(Version1809 Build 17763.379)