[Solved] Convert text to date

Discuss the spreadsheet application
garfld

[Solved] Convert text to date

Post by garfld »

I searched and no results work.
I downloaded info from my Amex account and the date looks like this: Jan172018
I need to convert it into a regular US date: 1/17/2018
Thanks for your help, really struggling here.
Last edited by garfld on Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Betsy
Open Office 4.1.1 on 64 bit Vista ;-)
MrProgrammer

Re: Convert text to date

Post by MrProgrammer »

garfld wrote:I downloaded info from my Amex account and the date looks like this: Jan172018
I need to convert it into a regular US date: 1/17/2018
I will assume that you have downloaded and installed OpenOffice with a locale of English (USA). Options are displayed with OpenOffice → Preferences on a Mac, Tools → Options on other platforms.
FR.jpg
Select the column of data, Edit → Find & Replace → More options, select Current selection only and Regular Expressions, Search for (...)(..)(....), Replace with $1 $2 $3, Replace All. I recommend unchecking Current selection only and Regular expressions, before clicking Close. Be sure to enter all 15 characters of the Search For expression that I gave you and all 8 characters of the Replace With expression that I gave you..

If you need any additional assistance attach a document demonstrating the situation (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself).

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
garfld

Re: Convert text to date

Post by garfld »

Brilliant! And perfect! Thanks so much!
Betsy
Open Office 4.1.1 on 64 bit Vista ;-)