[Solved] Beginner questions

Discuss the spreadsheet application
weygtya

[Solved] Beginner questions

Post by weygtya »

I need help with a few issues I can't figure out on a business job log and invoice.

1. How do I have a tab show only the columns/rows I am working on?
- When you click print and didn't highlight and it wants to print 455 sheets of blue and white lines.
2. How do I lock the cell color?
- I have made every other row a color so it's easier to keep one job on the same line.
3. How do I lock certain cells?
- Some cells on the invoice have text that I never change.
4. How to move from one cell to another?
- After I enter an amount into a cell I want to hit enter or tab and have it take me to the next cell I need to enter text in. How do I bypass empty cells?

Thank you in advance for any help!
D
 Edit: Topic locked so no further questions can be asked. It has four already. 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: How to help

Post by Villeroy »

Read some book on spreadsheets. Any old Excel book from 93 to 2003 will do.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Some of what you are asking for, Calc, without a lot of additional programming (aka macro coding) cannot do.
Villeroy's suggestion of reading a basic spreadsheet book (aka Spreadsheets for Dummies (that is the name of one of the books, though I disagree with using the term "dummies"))
There are lots of beginner level spreadsheet books out there... if you don't want to buy one, go to your local library and borrow one... if you decide that you do want to buy one, check the second hand stores, as a new book will not be much more useful and cost a lot more money.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Maybe I not understood your question exactly... (and there are too many questions for one topic...)
1. How do I have a tab show only the columns/rows I am working on?
- When you click print and didn't highlight and it wants to print 455 sheets of blue and white lines.
The AOO and LO shows the non empty cells in the Print Preview. If you want to see only the wanted cellrange in the Print Preview, then you need adjust the Print Ranges on every Sheet: Format - Print Ranges - Edit

Set the "none" option if you want not print a specific sheet

2. How do I lock the cell color?
- I have made every other row a color so it's easier to keep one job on the same line.
The cell properties (like the background color) will be trasferred from cell to cell by a normal copy/paste, cut/paste method. Solutions and workarounds:
- Copy and paste only the cell content but not the formatting properties. Use the Paste Special feature.
- Use Cell styles instead of the direct formatting. Then you will able to fix easier the "damaged" format properties by re-applying the desired Cell Style.
- Try to use the Conditional Formatting feature based on the Row Number. You can apply the relevant cell style for the odd/even rows automatically.

3. How do I lock certain cells?
- Some cells on the invoice have text that I never change
Use the Protect feature. You can switch on/off the protection for every cells and for every sheets individually.

4. How to move from one cell to another?
- After I enter an amount into a cell I want to hit enter or tab and have it take me to the next cell I need to enter text in. How do I bypass empty cells?
Workarounds:
- Use the arrow keys to move the cursor into next input cell.
- Re-organize your input range to one continuous block.
- Use the cell protection (against the accidental modifying the cell contents).
- Use the Data - Form feature for entering data into a cellrange.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Beginner questions

Post by John_Ha »

You are asking for someone to give you a training course in spreadsheets.

Excel For Dummies, 2nd Edition: 2nd Edition by Harvey, Greg Paperback is £2.70 post free to the UK and is a full course.

100 million people have bought it.

Buy it.
s-l500.jpg
Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Concerning (1.): Taken literally: No reasonable behaviour, imo. No way. Reading "print" instead of "show": See answer above.

Concerning (2.): Never set any attributes (or anything at all) the every-other-row way. If you want an effect like old listing paper showed it to help readers keep the line, use conditional formatting.

Concerning (3.) Read about cell protection and sheet protection.

Concerning(4.) Via >Tools>Options>OpenOffice Calc>General>Input settings>First item you have a choice in two steps:
Checkmark not set: No move after Enter.
Checkmark set: Select from the dropdown.
Any movement will not always be what you want. It may be annoying or misleading sometimes. I personal don't set any move.

You may try the attached template.
Attachments
aoo97521ListingPaperTemplate_1.ots
(39.32 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
weygtya

Post by weygtya »

Thank you! I just had no idea where to start with what I wanted it to do. I will look into the book and try out all the suggestions!
I'm just a stay at home mom trying to figure out how to keep my husbands business records and keep it as easy as possible.
D
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on windows home 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

weygtya wrote: I'm just a stay at home mom trying to figure out how to keep my husbands business records and keep it as easy as possible.
D
In that case you should certainly find some introductory book on spreadsheets - at the not-advanced level they all offer the same functionality, allowing for minor differences, such as OO using semicolon as a separator, whereas Excel uses a comma.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You will also find much useful information in the User Guides, the Writer, Base and Calc Tutorials and the AOO Frequently Asked Questions. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

As Rory says there are a number of minor differences between Excel in the book, and AOO Calc but frequent use of Calc's Help will quickly resolve them for you. Another difference is that Excel allows you to type '123 for a 123 to be considered as text and not as a number. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in Calc.
Clipboard02.gif
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

John_Ha wrote: Another difference is that Excel allows you to type '123 for a 123 to be considered as text and not as a number. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in Calc.
Works for me in Calc like in Excel. Input of '0123 enters the text "0123" rather than number 123. You can even add 2 text values as in ="0123"+"1" and get number 124 as a result although this would be very bad practice. The only difference between Excel and Calc in this particular respect is that for very good reasons Calc refuses to calculate with textual representations of decimal fractions because "1,234" represents different numeric values in different countries.

When you read a beginners book on Excel 97 or 2000, the second thing you will notice (after the semicolon thing) is that a reference to a cell on another sheet needs to be written as Sheet2.A1 instead of Sheet2!A1. If you install https://libreoffice.org/ you can adjust Calc so it complies (almost) completely with Excel syntax.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
weygtya

Post by weygtya »

Yes, I still have the same problem. Book for Dummies didn't answer any of my question on how to tab to different cells skipping the ones I don't need to enter into.
I just want to know how to fill in E2, hit the tab and it takes me to I2, C12, C18 then to B22, C22, D22, E22, F22, then back to B23.
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

1. Lock editable cells.
2. Protect the sheet.
3. Tab from unlocked cell to unlocked cell.
-------------------------------------
OR
1. Install LibreOffice which is just a better variant of OpenOffice
2. Tab from cell to cell horizontally.
3. Hit Enter to jump to the next row's first cell.
The method with locked cells works too.
weygtya

Post by weygtya »

I have no clue how to lock the cells. I know how to protect the sheet. I have selected everything then using the ctrl button I deselect the cells I want to be able to enter text in to.. then I protect the sheet. I got it to work once or twice and saved the file but when I go back to that tab it doesn't work again.

If I switch to LibreOffice will it open all my OO files with no problem? Does it save with the same extenstions?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

weygtya wrote:I have selected everything then using the ctrl button I deselect the cells I want to be able to enter text in to.. then I protect the sheet.
That's not how it's done according to Help. Protecting the sheet protects cell with the "Protected" attribute, not the selected cells. Not being familiar with protecting cells or sheets, I opened Help in Calc and found the topic "Protecting Cells from Changes". There it says that cells with the Protected attribute are protected when the whole sheet is protected and that ALL CELLS have the protected attribute by default, so it seems to me that you have to select the cells you don't want protected, remove the protected attribute, then protect the sheet.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

See my sample file. Check the Protection property of the applied Cell Styles: the Default one and the custom style named UnProtected one.
The Sheet1 is protected without password. The cell protection is switched off in the UnProtected style.
Protected-Unprotected.ods
(8.34 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
weygtya

Post by weygtya »

YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!

This worked!!
so it seems to me that you have to select the cells you don't want protected, remove the protected attribute, then protect the sheet