Giving text a numeric value

Discuss the spreadsheet application
c00lbooks

Giving text a numeric value

Post by c00lbooks »

I've got a question that I haven't found an answer to elsewhere. I am trying to build a spreadsheet with drop-down menus (created by using the Data>Validity>Cell Range method) that allows calculations to be made using predefined data with attached descriptors.

The predefined data is the result of other formulas on another sheet within the same document.

I am having a problem with my data, as I am trying to format it so that when I select, for sake of example, "Apples" from the drop-down menu, a =SUM function in my main sheet will read that as the number I got from a function on the other sheet and add it to the other selected entries on my main sheet.

I am able to simply select the results of the other formulas and use those raw numbers, but I want to be able to have a notation in the drop-down menu to describe it.

Can anyone help me?
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 7 (64bit)
MrProgrammer

Re: Giving text a numeric value

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
c00lbooks wrote:when I select, for sake of example, "Apples" from the drop-down menu, a =SUM function in my main sheet will read that as the number I got from a function on the other sheet
[Tutorial] VLOOKUP questions and answers

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).