[Solved] Adding up rows to keep a running total

Discuss the spreadsheet application
witchmellor

[Solved] Adding up rows to keep a running total

Post by witchmellor »

Sorry but complete newbie here, been using OO for some time but am limited to just adding up and sorting columns of numbers.
Here is what I am trying to do, I run a pub weekly football pool and after collating the results from the predictions (3 points correct score, 1 point correct winner or draw and 0 points for incorrect score or winner).

I have a list of names of the weekly participants, not all of them take part every week but the points they get for that week are entered and the number of points are then added to the running total which is also then sorted in descending order to show the points leader.

What I am trying to come up with is a way to enter the points for each name in the first two columns and have some way to update, ie add the sum to the corresponding name in the right hand columns without them then reverting back to the previous week's values when I enter the next week's data.
Here is a snapshot of the sheet I use, if the full sheet is required I can attach it. I'm sure some of you boffins will be able to do this with your eyes closed :D
Grateful for any help at all.
Thanks
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p8Omg ... RfknXdmYg5
Last edited by witchmellor on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OO Virgin
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Adding up rows to keep a running total

Post by John_Ha »

The best way to do this is to have a series of columns for week 1, week 2, etc, and add across all columns. You can place the columns well to the right if you don't want to see them, or hide them. An advantage of doing this is you have a complete history of how the total is obtained. Or place the records of all weeks on a different sheet.

Be very careful of doing something like Total = Total + this week. If you type in an incorrect value into this week by mistake you have no way of recovering as you have lost the previous total.

You will find much useful information in the User Guides, the Writer, Base and Calc Tutorials and the AOO Frequently Asked Questions. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
witchmellor

Re: Adding up rows to keep a running total

Post by witchmellor »

Many thanks for the advice, I'll go and do some more studying as I think I was already considering your solution so was probably on the right track anyway.
All the best
OO Virgin
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: (Solved) Adding up rows to keep a running total

Post by RoryOF »

It may simplify your project to use separate sheets for each month, or even each week, and amalgamate the totals to a final sheet.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
witchmellor

Re: (Solved) Adding up rows to keep a running total

Post by witchmellor »

Good stuff, thanks a lot :)
OO Virgin
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
robleyd

Re: [Solved] Adding up rows to keep a running total

Post by robleyd »

Cheers