Can't save a copy of a password protected spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
peppermintjan

Can't save a copy of a password protected spreadsheet

Post by peppermintjan »

I keep a copy of my important spreadsheets on a flash drive. One of the files is password protected. Now when I do a 'save as' and try to save the file to my flash drive, I get an error message saying the file is locked for editing and can't be accessed. I can open the original file but can't save it to another location. I've tried a copy/paste to the flash drive and get the same message. The message says the file was locked for editing on 12/24/2018. How do I unlock it so I can make a copy?
OpenOffice 4.1.1. Windows 8.1
MrProgrammer

Re: Can't save a copy of a password protected spreadsheet

Post by MrProgrammer »

peppermintjan wrote: keep a copy of my important spreadsheets on a flash drive. One of the files is password protected. Now when I do a 'save as' and try to save the file to my flash drive, I get an error message saying the file is locked for editing and can't be accessed.
First, a frequent recommendation from volunteers on the forum is to save documents only to the hard drive, not directly to a flash/USB drive. You will be able to find hundreds of posts about data loss on external drives if that advice is not followed. To copy documents to a flash/USB drive, use Windows, not OpenOffice. Saving to external drives directly from OpenOffice should work, but one must be very careful to allow the operating system components enough time to put the data there.

Now, if you choose to ignore the advice, read this topic about removing a lock:
[Solved] Someone Else Accessing my Documents?

Using a USB stick with OpenOffice.org and its Derivatives

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
peppermintjan

Post by peppermintjan »

My files are all created and stored on the hard drive of my pc. They were copied using 'save as' to a flash drive so I would have a copy in case my pc crashed. I have done this, using the same flash drive since 2015. I'm only having a problem with 1 file.

I have looked at the response about removing a lock and was not able to find any files as you suggest. I've also tried a copy/paste to a new file but it won't let me save it and I get the same error message. I have looked at the files in the original spreadsheet and they seem to be ok. I also removed the password protection on the original file, thinking that might be where the error is and that didn't help either. I'm at a loss.

BTW, the file I'm having a problem with is 1 of 7 and the only one using password protection if that matters.
OpenOffice 4.1.1. Windows 8.1
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

All you need is a backup program which copies all of your files (not just important office files) to another drive systematically and on a regular basis.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice