How to multiply column A by Column B.

Discuss the spreadsheet application
louispaul

How to multiply column A by Column B.

Post by louispaul »

I have read the posts on multiplying one column by another but I cannot get the formula to work. I tried C3 = A3*B3 and then put it in brackets but I get a value of #Name10. After I get the formula installed I want to copy it down the column into all the cells in Column C. What is the correct format for typing the formual into the first cell in column c? What is the command to copy the formula into all of the remaining cells in Column C. I tried the Fill, Down command but that only copied the data from the first cell.
Last edited by louispaul on Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.4 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: How to multiply column A by Column B.

Post by FJCC »

C3 should contain

Code: Select all

=A3 * B3
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If you are new to spreadsheets, you may find the following to be useful resources.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know

OpenOffice Spreadsheet Tutorial for Beginners with Examples
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

There are several ways to copy the formula in C3 down to the other cells in the column. Here are three:
1. Left click on C3. It will now have a black border with a small black square at the lower right corner. Click and hold on that small square and drag down as far as you need the formula to be copied.

2. Left click on C3. It will now have a black border with a small black square at the lower right corner. Double click on that small square and the formula will be filled down the column as far as the neighboring column on the left is filled.

3. Left click on C3. Go to the menu item Edit -> Copy. Now click and hold on cell C4 and drag down to select cells as far as you want the formula to go. With those cells selected, choose the menu item Edit -> Paste.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
louispaul

Post by louispaul »

I cannot determine what I am doing wrong. I tried all three ways as you itemized, and each method copied only the data from C3 into every cell below.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Are you seeing the formula copied down, rather than the results, or are you seeing the same results?
If you are seeing the formula, go to Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice Calc -> View
Then uncheck the box in the Display section beside Formulas

If you are seeing the same results, check that you don't have $ in front of the row indicator in your formula (ie: make sure it reads C3 not C$3)
If you have eliminated that, then check that the referenced numbers are not the same, or multiply to the same (ie: if A3 has 5 and B3 has a 2, then make sure that A4 isn't 10 with B4 being 1)
There are lots of possibilities that can give you the same results, so the results of the formula look the same, even though the formula is calculating correctly.

If you have eliminated that last option (ie: tested A3 with 5 and B3 with 6, giving C3 at 30, and A4 with 2 and B4 with 3, giving C4 at 6), but your still seeing 30 for C4, then please attach a sample of your document.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
louispaul

Post by louispaul »

I made a copy for you of the three columns from my spreadsheet but do not know how to send it to you on this reply form. If you could give me an email address where you can receive the data, I can attach the file to my email and send it to you.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.