[Solved] Prevent a graph from drawing empty cells?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Angry Ashley

[Solved] Prevent a graph from drawing empty cells?

Post by Angry Ashley »

Hi,

I'm trying to make a graph that should update every time I add a new row. I've set the range to about 1000, but it draws all of those points.
In one of the columns, there is a formula, but it is set to keep the cell empty unless the other cells in that row are populated.

I've already unchecked "Include values from hidden cells", that didn't work.
When I choose "assume zero" it draws the line at 0 at all those cells, so they are recognized as missing cells I assume.

Does anyone know how I can make it so that those missing cells don't draw on the graph at all?

Thanks in advance,
Ashley
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: How to prevent a graph from drawing empty cells?

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Angry Ashley wrote:I'm trying to make a graph …
In OpenOffice we use the term "chart". This is helpful to know when searching for documentation about this feature.
Angry Ashley wrote:In one of the columns, there is a formula, but it is set to keep the cell empty unless the other cells in that row are populated. … Does anyone know how I can make it so that those missing cells don't draw on the graph at all?
Have the formula return the null string "" when there is no data point for the chart. See attachment.
201911181110.ods
(20.36 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
If you also want the X-axis to exclude the missing data range, I doubt if you can do that unless you use the XY Scatter chart type. If you need further assistance, attach a document demonstrating the situation (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself).

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Angry Ashley

Re: How to prevent a graph from drawing empty cells?

Post by Angry Ashley »

The formula already returns a null string.
If It's only possible in scatter charts then i guess i'll just have to work with it.

Thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10