OpenOffice 4.1.2 and 4.1.6 crashing with Windows 10

Discuss the spreadsheet application

OpenOffice 4.1.2 and 4.1.6 crashing with Windows 10

Postby flowerpot! » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi, new at this game. I'm not a tech savvy person at best of times. Whilst doing a spread sheet, system would just crash with no warning. Seemed to be roughly every 5-7 mins. So if I got carried away inputting data, and forgot to keep on saving every couple lines, it would crash and lose data. I eventually managed to get a fault diagnosis that said it was due to 'bad allocation'. This was whilst I was still using 4.1.2. So thought if I tried to update the OO then it would help. Updated to 4.1.6. Same things happening.
Got no idea why. Havn't used spreadsheet for ages so not sure what updates from Windows would have affected it. :( Help
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
flowerpot!

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.2 and 4.1.6 crashing with Windows 10

Postby RoryOF » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:22 pm

This may be a symptom of a recent (within last few months) update of Win 10. Reports were that it caused severe instability of OpenOffice; removal of that update cured the problem, but it automatically reinstalled on later updates. However, more recent reports are that the update responsible has been replaced with an update that does not cause OO instatbility.

So my advice is that you tell Win 10 to do a complete update so that it is fully updated. How long this will take I cannot say - it may be some hours and several computer restarts.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Tim S » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:02 pm

I am having continued problems with crashing. My computer is up to date as of this morning. I am working with Calc and have experienced six crashes since I began working today. One said "Bad Allocation" the rest the software either locked up and had to be force closed (Task Manager) or it closed itself down. This has been very frustrating as I have had no previous issues with OpenOffice and love the interface. If this is an OS problem then OpenOffice needs a patch to fix the problem as Microsoft will likely not change anything on their end.

If anyone has come up with a real solution please help those of us still having problems.

Lenovo laptop, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Intel i5-7200, 8GB memory
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10
Tim S

Postby RoryOF » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:10 pm

A quick check that will settle whether this is an OO problem or a side effect from some other program installed on your computer: start Windows in Safe Mode and run OO. If OO is stable in that mode, the culprit is likely to be some program or driver on your computer that runs in Windows normal mode. Culprits are (inter alia - not an exhaustive list) Anti virus, firewall, malware detectors, utilities that monitor or touch the clipboard; improper configuration of any of these can cause the instability.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby John_Ha » Sun May 03, 2020 11:58 am

Search the Calc forum with bad allocation.

I quickly found that it seems to be a bug which only affects very large files - see Issue 125006 - Calc Consistently crashing, usually with "Fatal Error - Bad Allocation"

You might like to switch to LibreOffice and see if LO is better as it is almost certain never to be fixed in AOO - it was reported in 2014.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Calc