Crashing every day...

Discuss the spreadsheet application

Crashing every day...

Postby kieranoh » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:20 pm

Hello,

For sometime now, OO Calc crashes on me on a daily basis. I might have 2 or 3 spreadsheets open during the day, updating them occasional and at least once per day, they all close and OO fails.

Sometimes, though not every time there is a 'bad allocation' message but more often than not, it just closes and then when I select a document again, it goes through the recovery procedure.

I have been through the profile re-naming process and have uninstalled (after saving all my calcs to an external drive) and re-installed and brought back just a few spreadsheets but it is still happening.

I am assuming something is corrupt. Can someone help ? Will I need to remove everything again and re-build my docs from scratch ?

Thanks

Kieran
openoffice 4.0 on windows 10
kieranoh

Re: Crashing every day...

Postby RoryOF » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:35 pm

Some months ago a Windows 10 update caused great instability in OpenOffice. This could be cured by removing the update in question, but further Win10 updates caused the problem to reoccur, requiring the repeated removal of that update (or its successor).

A recent posting (within the last seven or so days) to the OpenOffice Developer list suggests that the latest Win10 update has cured this problem. I suggest therefore that you tell Win10 to update completely. This may take quite some time - my experience with updating an early Win10 installation was that it took at least overnight, but your case may differ.

Note that I have very limited Win10 experience, so take my advice in that light.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby kieranoh » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:40 pm

Thanks, I will give that a go. Fingers crossed!
kieranoh

Postby kieranoh » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:50 pm

Apparently, my windows 10 is totally up to date!?

What now ? Any thoughts ?

Kieran
kieranoh

Postby Villeroy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:55 pm

https://libreoffice.org/ is the successor of OpenOffice.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:45 pm

kieranoh wrote:Apparently, my windows 10 is totally up to date!?

What now ? Any thoughts ?

Kieran

No - I moved away from Windows to linux some ten years ago and have never regretted the move.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby John_Ha » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:05 pm

It's probably a heavily edited, slightly corrupted file - go File > Properties > General ..., and see how long and how often it has been edited.

Create a new, empty .ods file. Insert the sheets from the old file by Insert > Sheets from file. Is the new file better?

Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the profile - see Resetting the user profile.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby kieranoh » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:54 pm

John,

Thanks but I had already done each of those things, though my own feeling is something MUST have become corrupt somewhere.

I will maybe bin everything and start again after Christmas, unless anyone comes up with a new idea in the next day or so.

Kieran
kieranoh

Postby John_Ha » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:59 pm

If you are editing File_1, File_2 and File_3 and Calc crashes you have the potential to damage all three files. It might be best to start three instances of Calc as a crash in File_1 should not then affect File_2 and File_3.

Search the Writer forum for tangled.

NB. I assume you are saving as .ods files - See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Sun May 03, 2020 11:59 am

Search the Calc forum with bad allocation.

I quickly found that it seems to be a bug which only affects very large files - see Issue 125006 - Calc Consistently crashing, usually with "Fatal Error - Bad Allocation"

You might like to switch to LibreOffice and see if LO is better as it is almost certain never to be fixed in AOO - it was reported in 2014.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Calc