[Solved] Organize cells based on numeric value?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
NewOldUser

[Solved] Organize cells based on numeric value?

Post by NewOldUser »

I'd like to start off by saying I don't have much experience when it comes to using spreadsheets. This is all still kind of new to me. That may explain why I'm unable to exactly state what I'm trying to do.

I have a spreadsheet with three columns. A column has URLs. B and C columns have numbers. I would like to organize all of the URLs based on the number data in column B. I highlight column B and go to data. I then choose sort. This will organize all of the numbers based on the first starting number. For example, 2,000,000 200,000 and so forth. I don't want this. I want the numbers to go in order from largest to smallest. For example, I want 2,000,000 and then 1,999,999 and so on. How can I do this?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office 4.1.6
RoryOF

Re: How to organize cells based on numeric value?

Post by RoryOF »

Change the selection button to Descending from Ascending in /Data /Sort : Sort tab.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
NewOldUser

Post by NewOldUser »

The results are still the same. They are grouped based upon the first number. The only difference is they go up or down. I want them to be listed in exact ascending or descending, not grouped according to their first number. I'm not sure if I can convey properly what my problem is.
Open Office 4.1.6
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You should check if your data is text or numbers. Use /View /Value highlighting to determine this - text will be black, numbers blue and results of a formula green. That same command switches off the display.
 Edit: Entering the , (thousands separator) may define the entry as text. 
NewOldUser

Post by NewOldUser »

The color of the numbers is black when I do this. How do I enter a comma separator? The spreadsheet is already made for me. I'm just trying to organize it.
Open Office 4.1.6
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

One can enter a thousand separator when entering the number by pressing the comma key. However, you ought not wish to do this. I'm not a great Calc user so cannot tell you how to change your text strings to numbers - you'll have to wait for other advice.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

NewOldUser wrote:I'd like to start off by saying I don't have much experience when it comes to using spreadsheets.
You need to read [Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know. Until you understand some of the fundamentals you will struggle with spreadsheets.
NewOldUser wrote:I want the numbers to go in order from largest to smallest.
The tutorial explains how to convert text strings to numbers so you can sort them in descending order.
NewOldUser wrote:That may explain why I'm unable to exactly state what I'm trying to do.
Most people find they get an answer more quickly if they attach a document demonstrating the difficulty (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself).
 Edit: 
NewOldUser wrote:I highlight column B and go to data. I then choose sort.
No. Select one cell in column B then use Data → Sort to sort A, B, and C together with B as the key. 
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

NewOldUser wrote:I highlight column B and go to data. I then choose sort.
If you want the contents of columnns A and C to go with the contents of B when sorting, you need to select all three columns and then in the Sort... dialogue only column B as key.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München