What is Calc doing with my "@" signs, and how do I stop it?

Discuss the spreadsheet application

What is Calc doing with my "@" signs, and how do I stop it?

Postby gf1701 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:01 am

I'm using Calc for a schedule I'm putting together. In a couple of cells, I have text that reads "xxxxxx 5@5 xxxxxxxxx". I formatted the text to wrap. I printed the schedule and it looked fine. When I went back to update my schedule in the spreadsheet, Calc decided to treat the cells with an "@" sign in the text as email addresses. It no longer wraps the text. If I double-click the cell, it opens Outlook Express. It does not allow me to edit the cell, either in the cell or in the formula input area at the top of the sheet. I can't find anything about this in the Calc Help file. Does anyone know how I can get Calc to leave my text alone and not interpret it as an email address?
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
gf1701

Re: What is Calc doing with my "@" signs, and how do I stop it?

Postby acknak » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:07 am

Tools > AutoCorrect > Options > URL Recognition: OFF
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:58 pm

acknak wrote:Tools > AutoCorrect > Options > URL Recognition: OFF

That's cool, of course, but thinking only as an academic problem, could you mix this feature? There could be one single occasion when one might want some to be recognised, and others not. It would be neat to be able to select each and deal with it individually rather than globally. ...Just mulling it over in my mind.

David.
Dave

Postby acknak » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:01 pm

Yes, it would be nice to have some way to prevent the recognition simply as needed. However, I couldn't think of any, except to enter it as a formula: ="joe@example.com", which is a bit impractical.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby Villeroy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:12 am

You can do funny things with plain text URLs by means of functions url_games.ods. The main advantage of function HYPERLINK is, that the address and the displayse label can be edited easily while having the "clickability" in another cell.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Return to Calc