What can I search for?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
hopethisisez

What can I search for?

Post by hopethisisez »

I recently started the thread "On button click, how can I move result to consecutive cells?" that had an explanation and the following attachment:
movethatnumber.ods
(14.74 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
So far it hasn't had much action.

But I'm thinking that in over 19000 threads on this forum this topic or ones similar are bound to have been mentioned (and likely solved). I'd like to search, but I don't really know what to search for or the proper words or descriptions to use to do a good search.

Can anyone help me with the original problem or give me some clues to help me hunt down any info that might exist?

Thank you in advance :D
OpenOffice 4.1.5, Windows 7 Professional
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: What can I search for?

Post by Zizi64 »

A note from the sample file
The amount in cell C5
needs to be transferred
into column F each time
the up arrow is clicked
...In same cell, or you want increment the row number at every action (Do you want to fill the column?)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My suggestion when using Forum search is to pick a keyword and search on that. Sometimes a sequence (two or three) of keywords can be helpful to search on.

How one chooses a keyword is a mystery! Some people can, some can't.

I often search using Google, without restricting my search to any particular location; the desired result will often not be the first result returned, sometimes some little way down the results list - often on another page. The synopsis offered can be helpful - if one sees a result with one's desired keywords and other words one suspects to be relevant, that is often a good target. If the hairs on the back of one's neck stand up, that may be an indicator of success.

If searching for subjects connected with OpenOffice, I will start a Google search with that term and add other keywords. Remember always that LibreOffice often has similar results, so it can also be useful to use that as a limiting keyword in place of OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
hopethisisez

Post by hopethisisez »

Zizi64 wrote:A note from the sample file
The amount in cell C5
needs to be transferred
into column F each time
the up arrow is clicked
...In same cell, or you want increment the row number at every action (Do you want to fill the column?)
I want the first click to put a number into cell F1, the second to put a number into F2, the third into F3, and on and on, with perhaps thousands of entries, one after another. Column F would go a long ways down :)
hopethisisez

Post by hopethisisez »

RoryOF, thanks, but what I'm really wondering is if what I'm trying to do has some kind of simple name, or maybe a macro or function that does something like this that someone might know about that could help me do this search.

So far all I can do is think of ways to describe what I'm trying to do, which probably isn't the greatest way to do a search.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

More than 50% of all Calc questions have nothing to do with spreadsheets. Those question are based on a fundamental misconception about what a spreadsheet is. Appending data to a list may be a database task if you have to intersect this collection of randoms with other data (huh? why anyway?).
It would be most trivial without any convoluted software, just using a script language like Perl or Python.

btw: what would you expect to happen when someone hits the down arrow of your spin button?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
hopethisisez

Post by hopethisisez »

Villeroy wrote:
btw: what would you expect to happen when someone hits the down arrow of your spin button?
Its for a slot machine simulation. The sum of the random numbers is what a "play" (of many thousands of plays) won or lost, and the column is a record of all of those wins and losses.

I found something from an old post that I thought works, but at the last second created a new problem.

If you:
A) click on the sum figure
B) copy it
C) hold down "Ctrl" and click the down arrow on the keyboard
D) click the up arrow on the keyboard
E) paste

You will have it, (with your record at the bottom of the column-WAY DOWN-).

The only problem is, I went to make a macro that would work on the click of the up arrow button, but for whatever reason it will not work on the click of the button.

So now that's a problem I gotta work out if this thing will work.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

If you are not a programmer, the spreadsheet is a more visual programming tool that helps you to generate and calculate data. Use it and forget about macros.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice