[Solved] Identify which the row in one column to display

Discuss the spreadsheet application
michaelgingras

[Solved] Identify which the row in one column to display

Post by michaelgingras »

Greetings
Looking for help. In the sample provided I am comparing two time periods 2018 vs 2017 broken into biweekly segments.
Column C and F are Average sale. Column D and G are a running average of column C and F. Best I knew how to do it.
Column D in cell D29 is indexed to show the last populated cell.
Below all that is a Scorecard that shows the Year to date averages for 2018 vs same time period last year in 2017.
I have been doing this manually but there must be a way to get F32 to self populate based on what is in the E32.
It would need to change every time new data is entered. Right now it should be looking to G22.
Can you offer some guidance?
Attachments
OOSAMPLE.ods
(18.47 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Last edited by michaelgingras on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldsups
Openoffice 4.1.5
on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Identify which the row in one column to display from ano

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the forums.
For more accurate results, I suggest using a couple of VLOOKUP formulas.
Specifically, I suggest putting

Code: Select all

=VLOOKUP(TODAY();B3:D28;3)
into E32. This would also allow you to eliminate the entry in D29
I also suggest putting

=VLOOKUP(DATE(YEAR(TODAY())-1;MONTH(TODAY());DAY(TODAY()));E3:G28;3)
into F32
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
michaelgingras

Post by michaelgingras »

Yes, this is close to what I need. fantastic help. It almost works as you placed it. I attached the results.
F32 should be displaying the same as G21. It is showing me G24 which is the cell closest to today's date.
Any idea for to show me the last entered in C changing the last average in D.
E32 should read the same as D21 in this example,
and F32 should read the same as G21. I hope I'm explaining this correctly.
E32 and F32 should change when a new bi-weekly is entered in C, not by the day viewing the spreadsheet.
Thank you
Attachments
OOSAMPLE_2.0.ods
(18.88 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Oldsups
Openoffice 4.1.5
on Windows 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

E32 and F32 should change when a new bi-weekly is entered in C, not by the day viewing the spreadsheet.
This is new information and I'm not sure how it could be handled, as there's no information in the spreadsheet for Calc to reference in order to determine if it's been two weeks since the last update.
With today's date being 18-11-06 (using the format in your spreadsheet), then E32 would match D24, and since a year ago the date would've been 17-11-06, F32 would match G24 as the date in E24 is the closest date that is before 17-11-06.

Can you explain why F32 should be showing the information from G21, which has a relevant date of 17-09-21 (Sept 21, 2017)? Even using a date two weeks before (referencing last years information) would be a date of 17-10-23, which would be row 23.

Actually, looking at your spreadsheet again while typing this, makes me think that you're using the numbers in column A as your row reference numbers, rather than the actual row numbers, which, in this case, are greater than the number you are referencing by 2.

If that is correct, then use

=VLOOKUP(TODAY()-14;B3:D28;3)
in E32 and

=VLOOKUP(DATE(YEAR(TODAY())-1;MONTH(TODAY());DAY(TODAY())-14);E3:G28;3)
in F32.
That should handle the change in the information regarding the actual dates you wanted to reference in the chart.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
thinman3
Volunteer

Post by thinman3 »

Well, not sure if this gets you any closer to the solution you are wanting, but see if the attached file works for you.

**removed file a/o 11-08-18
Last edited by thinman3 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3.4.1 & 4.1.5 on MS Windows 7 Pro x64
morchat

Post by morchat »

The first problem concerns the VLOOKUP function. The first dates in these areas are 13/01/2017 and 14/01/2018. Dates older than these will cause an error because the first argument can not be less than the smallest value in the first column of the search area.
You wrote that the data for the last period entered in the year should be compared.
I suggest a different solution.
The two-week periods to be compared should always end on the same day, so it is worth setting them permanently. Therefore, the week containing the date of 29 February (leap-year) will be one day longer. Also the last week of the year will be one day longer.
The example is in Sheet2.
Attachments
OOSAMPLE_2.1.ods
(20.41 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
AOO 4.1.7, LibreOffice 6.2.8
Windows 10 64 bits
morchat

Post by morchat »

Sorry but solution given by thinman3 is not good. The VLOOKUP function uses the FALSE fourth argument (find an exact match), but in the area of D3: D28, the same value may appear several times. Then, the first one found is matched as the match.
AOO 4.1.7, LibreOffice 6.2.8
Windows 10 64 bits
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
michaelgingras wrote:I have been doing this manually but there must be a way to get F32 to self populate based on what is in the E32.
=INDEX(G3:G28;COUNT(C3:C28))

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).