[Solved] Bank of America exports only in Chinese

Discuss the spreadsheet application
willincalif

[Solved] Bank of America exports only in Chinese

Post by willincalif »

[img]Any idea as to why this would be?: I've exported my banking activities many times. Today however every time I try, it comes out Chinese. The language on calc is present to American English.
I called BofA Tech Support and they tried to troubleshoot it but couldn't find the cause.
Of course I rebooted a few times, cleared all my history, verified applications most recent versions including Chrome, Firefox, Explorer and Open Office version is AOO415m1(Build:9789) - Rev. 1817496 2017-12-11 17:25
I ran CCleaner thoroughly, Norton Security Suite and Malwarebytes.

I CAN however export to notepad or even Internet Explorer and it's all English.
Also searched all over internet for similar issues.

Anyone here seen this before? Much appreciated.

See screenshot 163. [/img]
Some of it is even translatable but not most of it. It starts out "Ladies and Gentlemen".
The one cell you see is actually a very long string.
Attachments
Screenshot (163).jpg
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
RusselB

Re: bank of america exports only in Chinese

Post by RusselB »

FYI: When you take information from an outside source and put it into a program, unless you are typing the information directly, then you are importing the information, not exporting.
How do you get your banking information? Do you download a file that the bank generates or do you copy & paste from their website?
If you are importing a file that was downloaded, do you see a Text Import Dialog or a dialog allowing you to pick between formatted or unformatted text?
If you see the Text Import Dialog, which usually has a partial display showing the information as Calc would recognize it, you can make some modifications via that dialog as to what type of information is used by Calc. There is a Detect Special Numbers check box in that dialog. If it is not checked, I strongly recommend that you do check it before doing the import.
If you see a dialog giving you the options of Formatted or Unformatted text, I recommend that you go with Unformatted, then you can format the display in Calc as you want it.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I've exported my banking activities many times.
Did you meant: you exported the infomations from a netbanking service to a .txt or .csv or .xls file, and then you want open/import it with the Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice?
If the answer is YES, then check the settings of export filter in the netbanking servive (if these setting are available), and adjust the import filter coding of the AOO/LO with same settings (ASCII, UTF-8 or others).
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
willincalif

Post by willincalif »

I just figured it out. The character set in Calc somehow was on Unicode. I changed it to Arabic and it now works fine.

Thank you both for all the suggestions!
William Burch
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10