Fit to page leaving lots of margin

Discuss the spreadsheet application
redazaleas

Fit to page leaving lots of margin

Post by redazaleas »

Page break problems are fixed, now I am trying to fit to page - the print preview doesn't match how the page prints, there is an unexplained .5 margin on the bottom and 1 inch margin on the right. My page size is set to 8.5x11 now, which is the measure of the paper, but when i change the page size it changes things - it's just very inexact. Any tips for getting rid of that bottom and right margin? Thanks for any ideas. My current file is the first one listed.

Hi, I am trying to make my defined print range fit to page. The print rage is how I want it, but it's just ignored when printing. I added manual page breaks, and I can see them, but they don't do anything. Viewing page break preview shows the (incorrect) print rage that keeps printing. I started with fit to sheet, 1 sheet on, then changed it to scale 100% because I read fit to page can interfere, but it still doesn't work. Any tips would be very much appreciated, I'm willing to try anything.

(Also, how do I check what version of openoffice I have? I downloaded it a month ago...)
(btw, is there a way to turn off that automatic dating? I'd like to have something like 'September 1' without it changing to ///)
Attachments
trying 3.ods
(11.24 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
trying 3.ods
(11.26 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Last edited by redazaleas on Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: page break preview does not match manual page breaks

Post by FJCC »

I removed all of the page breaks and set the print range set to C1:I14. I then went to Format -> Page and on the Sheet tab set Fit Print Ranges(s) To Number Of Pages = 1. Check the attached file to see if that is what you want.
Attachments
PrintRange.ods
(11.4 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
redazaleas

Re: page break preview does not match manual page breaks

Post by redazaleas »

I was really trying to get B2:I14, but it worked this time when I put that in! I dunno if I forgot or what, but thanks a billion! I was banging my head against that for two hours... it's such a relief to have it fixed.

The problem left is something that's been happening for weeks... even though it's 'fit to page' it doesn't fit to page. I probably shouldn't have, but I changed the page size - now it's 8.5x11, not sure what it was originally. The print preview is not how it actually prints... there's big, .5 inch margin on the bottom and a 1 inch margin on the right. (not including naturaI .10 margins on each side, even adding to the .10 margin on top, which i assume is just real-life-error) tried getting rid of all (except top) margins, nothing doing. Changing page size changes things, but it's not exact and there's a lot of trial and error. The paper itself is 8.5x11, I measured it. Any tips for getting rid of those bottom and right margins?

I tried taking a picture, but even with lowest resolution it's too big to post...

Thanks so much for helping me get to this point!
Attachments
trying 3.ods
(11.24 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: fit to page leaving lots of margin

Post by robleyd »

Please don't ask multiple questions in one topic; just one issue per thread please. As a new forum user please read the Survival Guide for advice on how to best use the forum.
how do I check what version of openoffice I have
Help | About
I tried taking a picture, but even with lowest resolution it's too big to post
Use a screen capture, and if that is bigger than 128Kb use a file sharing site such as Mediafire and post the URL here.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: fit to page leaving lots of margin

Post by John_Ha »

robleyd wrote:Use a screen capture, and if that is bigger than 128Kb use a file sharing site such as Mediafire and post the URL here.
Or use an image editor to resample the image to a smaller resolution. Save as a GIF file - this reduces the file size to 1/3 of what it would otherwise be. (Why? Because GIF only supports 256 colours, so uses 8 bits per pixel stored. PNG etc use 24 bits per pixel stored).

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on images.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.