Fit to page leaving lots of margin

Discuss the spreadsheet application

Fit to page leaving lots of margin

Postby redazaleas » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:14 am

Page break problems are fixed, now I am trying to fit to page - the print preview doesn't match how the page prints, there is an unexplained .5 margin on the bottom and 1 inch margin on the right. My page size is set to 8.5x11 now, which is the measure of the paper, but when i change the page size it changes things - it's just very inexact. Any tips for getting rid of that bottom and right margin? Thanks for any ideas. My current file is the first one listed.

Hi, I am trying to make my defined print range fit to page. The print rage is how I want it, but it's just ignored when printing. I added manual page breaks, and I can see them, but they don't do anything. Viewing page break preview shows the (incorrect) print rage that keeps printing. I started with fit to sheet, 1 sheet on, then changed it to scale 100% because I read fit to page can interfere, but it still doesn't work. Any tips would be very much appreciated, I'm willing to try anything.

(Also, how do I check what version of openoffice I have? I downloaded it a month ago...)
(btw, is there a way to turn off that automatic dating? I'd like to have something like 'September 1' without it changing to ///)
Attachments
trying 3.ods
(11.24 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
trying 3.ods
(11.26 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Last edited by redazaleas on Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10
redazaleas

Re: page break preview does not match manual page breaks

Postby FJCC » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:51 am

I removed all of the page breaks and set the print range set to C1:I14. I then went to Format -> Page and on the Sheet tab set Fit Print Ranges(s) To Number Of Pages = 1. Check the attached file to see if that is what you want.
Attachments
PrintRange.ods
(11.4 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
AOO 3.4 or 4.1 on MS Windows XP ( before 2013-08-03) or Windows 7
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Re: page break preview does not match manual page breaks

Postby redazaleas » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:39 am

I was really trying to get B2:I14, but it worked this time when I put that in! I dunno if I forgot or what, but thanks a billion! I was banging my head against that for two hours... it's such a relief to have it fixed.

The problem left is something that's been happening for weeks... even though it's 'fit to page' it doesn't fit to page. I probably shouldn't have, but I changed the page size - now it's 8.5x11, not sure what it was originally. The print preview is not how it actually prints... there's big, .5 inch margin on the bottom and a 1 inch margin on the right. (not including naturaI .10 margins on each side, even adding to the .10 margin on top, which i assume is just real-life-error) tried getting rid of all (except top) margins, nothing doing. Changing page size changes things, but it's not exact and there's a lot of trial and error. The paper itself is 8.5x11, I measured it. Any tips for getting rid of those bottom and right margins?

I tried taking a picture, but even with lowest resolution it's too big to post...

Thanks so much for helping me get to this point!
Attachments
trying 3.ods
(11.24 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10
redazaleas

Re: fit to page leaving lots of margin

Postby robleyd » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:09 am

Please don't ask multiple questions in one topic; just one issue per thread please. As a new forum user please read the Survival Guide for advice on how to best use the forum.

how do I check what version of openoffice I have

Help | About

I tried taking a picture, but even with lowest resolution it's too big to post

Use a screen capture, and if that is bigger than 128Kb use a file sharing site such as Mediafire and post the URL here.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 RC1 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Re: fit to page leaving lots of margin

Postby John_Ha » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:14 pm

robleyd wrote:Use a screen capture, and if that is bigger than 128Kb use a file sharing site such as Mediafire and post the URL here.

Or use an image editor to resample the image to a smaller resolution. Save as a GIF file - this reduces the file size to 1/3 of what it would otherwise be. (Why? Because GIF only supports 256 colours, so uses 8 bits per pixel stored. PNG etc use 24 bits per pixel stored).

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on images.
AOO 4.1.5, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Calc