[Solved] Sum not working + other question

Discuss the spreadsheet application
NewOOfan

[Solved] Sum not working + other question

Post by NewOOfan »

Hi again guys.

I've been tasked to a project, and... I'm really confused. I'm a rookie, but I can't get the "sum" feature to work?

I've uploaded a picture, and just below is a link to the picture. I forgot to include the row, but the row with data is row 2703. I did a simple sum calculation for column M. It's supposed to get the sum from columns B, C, E, and F. You can see the calculation at the top, it is =SUM(B2703:C2703:E2703:F2703) which is correct isn't it? Why in the world is it saying 711,199? I've run those numbers on a calculator twice 697,805. I'm so confused. The row number is correct. It's doing this to other rows too.. I just clicked and dragged that formula to all of column M so it's not working for some reason.

https://imgur.com/nhn7Ohq

Here's a second unrelated question. I'm going to want a new formula in column N, I want it to be basically "what percent of column L is column M?", what's the code for that? For example, column L is 100, and M is 20. N would say "20%".

Last, what is the code for divide by? I want O to be N divided by some random number.

Thanks! I'm learning slowly.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows
eremmel

Re: Wait.. what am I doing wrong? (sum not working) + other

Post by eremmel »

When you want to sum individual cells use =SUM(B2703;C2703;E2703;F2703). So semicolon iso colon.
Use colon as a shortcut for =SUM(A1, A2, ..., A10) -> =SUM(A1:A10)

Other question:
You talk about column L and column M and not a cell (assume you have values in first 1000 rows). You might use the formula =SUM(M1:M1000)/SUM(L1:L1000) that will return 0.20. Now find the markup for % to make it display as percentage.

Tip:
Look for an introduction on Calc (or Excel) for dummies on the internet (e.g. youtube) you will learn a lot.
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If you are new to spreadsheets, you may find the following to be useful resources.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know

OpenOffice Spreadsheet Tutorial for Beginners with Examples
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
NewOOfan

Post by NewOOfan »

Thanks guys, I knew I'd embarrass myself ;) appreciate the help.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Sum not working + other question

Post by jrkrideau »

Not embarassing yourself, just a new user. If you are text oriented I would expand on eremmel's post and suggest going to the public library or, perhaps, a used book store and picking up an "Intro to <some spreadsheet>.

It really does not matter which one. All spreadsheets use the same basic commands, etc. Something like "Excel for Dummies" sounds good. I have never used an XX for Dummies for a spreadsheet but I have others on my bookshelves for things like data bases and they are excellent.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04