How to highlight cursor cell

Discuss the spreadsheet application
jpfalls

How to highlight cursor cell

Post by jpfalls »

I am using LibreOffice 6.1 on Windows 10. How do I highlight the current cell on which the cursor is located? TIA
OpenOffice 3.1 running on Windows 10 (LibreOffice 6.1 on Windows 10)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: How to highlight cursor cell

Post by Zizi64 »

There is not such built-in setting in the Calc application- if I know it exactly...
There are hihlighted only the columnn headers and the row headers of the selected cell range.

But there is a similar topic with a macro related workaround tip:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=86971
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: How to highlight cursor cell

Post by Lupp »

jpfalls wrote:How do I highlight the current cell on which the cursor is located?
Please don't blame me for being too petty-minded, but I would like to have it absolutely clear.

I assume the cell you are talking of is the one marked by a black frame, often called (slightly misleading) the "active cell". I prefer to call it "focus cell". Functionally this is the cell having the focus for editing the content (ordinary input or enter for editing with F2).

There is another kind of highlighting/marking: To overlay a different color to the cell's background colour (in case of default cells resulting in light blue). This kind of highlighting signals that the cell is part of the current selection. The current selection is functionally used for deletion of content and for changing cell attributes.

There is one case where the current selection (as the API is seeing it it) is identical with the focus cell: That's if no other cell is selected.

Thus: If you have nothing selected explicitly, the focus cell is treated as selected. If you want to additionally highlight this cell by colour, you can do this in the same way you add/remove cells from a selection. This is Ctrl+ClickLeft. As far as I know this does not change how the cell (its content and attributes) are afflicted by your measures in this specific case. (There is one oddity: If nothing was selected, and the explicit selection of the focus cell is applied and revoked again, the higlighting of the column header and the row header is switched off.)
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München