Which is best - Copy paste data fr Excel or AOO direct

Discuss the spreadsheet application
sts8500man

Which is best - Copy paste data fr Excel or AOO direct

Post by sts8500man »

Due to the extensive number of macros I have in my Excel spreadsheets, I am somewhat reluctant to move from Excel to Open Office Calc for speadsheet needs; however, I want to get away from Excel. If I do make that move, would it be best to copy data from excel spreadsheets and paste into open office spreadsheets or get data from the excel files into open office spreadsheets by some other method?

Getting the macros is another whole issue for which I have searched your forum extensively. I am still concerned about having to write those macros all over again but willing to give it a try - that is for importing the macros from Excel VBA. Maybe it will import most of them and I will would only have to re-write a few!
OpenOffice 4.1.5
RoryOF

Re: which is best - copy paste data fr excel or open direct

Post by RoryOF »

Unless you are prepared for the learning curve and the work involved in transition, stick with Excel, if it does the tasks you require.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
sts8500man

Post by sts8500man »

That was a quick reply. Thank you. Excel does everything I need except for dynamic charting. It seems to me that Microsoft has made that function complicated, not to mention confusing in Windows 10 and Office 365. I am tired trying to figure it out. I see where Open Office Calc's charts are dynamic by default; that is how it should be in Excel. Unfortunately I do not want a steep learning curve. I don't mind the work but I have too much on my plate to deal with both a lot of work and a steep learning curve too. I guess I will just have to keep making static charts in Excel, which gets to be a hassle sometimes.

Thanks again for your reply.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice macro programming is very powerful, but has a steep learning curve.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
sts8500man

Post by sts8500man »

Thanks. It seems I have a big decision to make. I will think on it some. Most likely I will download the latest version of Open Office and at least try it. Nothing ventured equals nothing gained, right? I must sit on this decision for a little while. Thanks again and have a great day or night, depending on where you are located.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
RusselB

Re: Which is best - Copy paste data fr Excel or AOO direct

Post by RusselB »

Personally, in your situation, I would continue using Excel while reading/learning about the differences between OpenOffice Calc and Excel.
Over time, switch from Excel to Calc, but keep using Excel, especially if you are using it for important/business related options until such time as you are comfortable with Calc.
If you have multiple spreadsheets, then start in Calc with one of the Excel sheets that you don't update very often, or even one that you still have, but don't use anymore.
If your only reason for thinking about switching to Calc is due to the charting capabilities, then here are some suggestions:
1) Try importing your Excel document into Calc, then see if the charting works directly... If it does, then you could continue doing most of your work in Excel, while making use of Calc's charting capabilities when needed.
2) Try using LibreOffice Calc, which has been reported as having a higher level of compatibility with Excel. Including, but not limited to, the ability to save in the .XLSX format, which OpenOffice can't do.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.