Lotus 123 spreadsheet recovery

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Anke10

Lotus 123 spreadsheet recovery

Post by Anke10 »

I used to have Lotus 123 spreadsheet because it was the best, but since IBM in their infinite wisdom decided to not support it and also when I went to windows 10, my PC crashed, and the company who retrieved my data, were not able to sort out Lotus again, even though I had a disc. I have been using open Office spreadsheet, but it is just not the same. I have been trying to write a formula in one box to copy all data in another box on another sheet in the group, but without any success, even though I have been to the help section, it just does not work as the help suggest. The idea is that if I change a figure in the first box it will automatically change the figure in the other where the formula has been input.

It was so easy on Lotus, but with Open Office it just will not oblige to put it mildly, it is so frustrating and so time consuming having to change data in boxes, which Lotus did for me before.
Lotus 123 was so far superior, why it has been not supported any more is really beyond me, it was really superb.
Open Office 4.1.3 on windows 10
robleyd

Re: how to

Post by robleyd »

Say you have a cell in Sheet1 where you want to reference A1 on Sheet2. In Sheet1, wherever you want the reference, use =Sheet2.A1
If you are new to Calc spreadsheets, you may find the following to be useful resources.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know

OpenOffice Spreadsheet Tutorial for Beginners with Examples
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Anke10

Post by Anke10 »

Strange, I did manage to find a solution a while ago and used that formula, but it did not work, although I have just tried it again and it does work it seems, so I am for ever in your debt, thank you very much, hope this formula will work in all the spreadsheets now. appreciate your help, as I was getting so frustrated. Thanks again take care
Anke10

Post by Anke10 »

Although further to previous post, if the sheet name is changed, I do believe it does not work then, be grateful for any more advice if sheet name changed, how to get it to work, thanks.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If you change the sheet name, then you have to change the name of the sheet in the formula.. This is the part before the .
Calc does not automatically change the sheet names in formulas if you change the sheet name, so you're going to have to edit them one by one, or use Find & Replace (Ctrl+F)
Generally speaking, it's easiest for Calc to work with data if it is all on the same page.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Anke10

Post by Anke10 »

I did try the changed name, but it does not like it, the names used were say '30th November 2018, but it does not seem to like the spaces, although I have not tried it without the spaces yet, will do when get more time. But thanks again for your input, i think I am getting somewhere now, when previously it just did not like anything, so thanks again for all every ones help.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In place of Spaces, use underscores, thus 30th_November_2018.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Anke10

Post by Anke10 »

OK will try it later. Cheers.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The usage of space in formulas, I suspect is (directly or indirectly) associated with most of the topics on the forum.
They are tricky to handle, and need to be extremely precise. Using the underscore in place of space, as suggested by RoryOF, should resolve the problem.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.