[Solved] Best way to encrypt my Calc sheet?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Veda

[Solved] Best way to encrypt my Calc sheet?

Post by Veda »

Hi, I have a couple of questions please, both related...

1. What would be the best method to encrypt a calc file so that if my laptop was stolen or lost when travelling then the spreadsheet and most importantly the formula's within would not be be able to be seen by mostly anyone else. I see there is a "save with password" option, is that easy to bypass or should I use third-party encryption software?

2. To retrieve a replacement file I could simply keep a copy in a folder from an email that I sent to myself, but in the event I had to buy a new laptop and download a new install of OpenOffice, would I be able to open a password protected file on a computer different than the one that created the file? I only have one computer atm so can't test this.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated, thank you.
Last edited by Veda on Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10, open office 4.1.5
FJCC

Re: Best way to encrypt my calc sheet?

Post by FJCC »

The save with password option in the File -> Save dialog encrypts the file. If you use a strong password, you should be fine. I can't find a description of the algorithm at the moment but I recall that it is strong encryption. This is not true of the protection provided by Tools -> Protect Document. That is just a Child Safety feature to prevent accidental edits.
A password protected file can be opened on any computer with OpenOffice if the password is known.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Veda

Re: Best way to encrypt my calc sheet?

Post by Veda »

That sounds good enough, appreciate the answer, thank you. :)
Win 10, open office 4.1.5