[Solved] Is it possible to insert multiple blank rows?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
mallomar

[Solved] Is it possible to insert multiple blank rows?

Post by mallomar »

I often need to insert multiple blank rows, and I can't figure out how. I end up having to insert one row at a time.

Is there a way? I did some Googling and found pages that implied it can be done, but I had no success. Entirely possible I wasn't doing it correctly. I was selecting multiple blank rows (from the bottom of my Calc file), copying and inserting. No joy. One new row appears.

TIA.
Last edited by mallomar on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.0 on Mac OX 10.6
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Is it possible to insert multiple blank rows?

Post by Zizi64 »

I often need to insert multiple blank rows, and I can't figure out how. I end up having to insert one row at a time.
In a Writer doc? Or in a Calc spreadsheet?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

This function works fine in my LibreOffice 5.4.7 version Calc application, and it works in my AOO 4.1.5 Calc portable version. You must select whole rows - by clicking on the row numbers - (but not only a few cells in a row) before you copy them.
 Edit: It works when i select a few cells only in more than one row. 
This function only works in same place where you selected the rows.

You must select the target place (rows) where to the new rows will be inserted. Then click on the 'Insert - Rows' menu item.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I can do this by selecting a vertical range of cells by clicking and dragging and then choosing the menu Insert -> Rows.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

mallomar wrote:I often need to insert multiple blank rows, and I can't figure out how. I end up having to insert one row at a time. Is there a way?
Let's say you want to insert four empty rows between rows 2 and 3. Select row 3, the row you want to insert before, and a total of four rows. So you will select rows 3, 4, 5, and 6. Do that by clicking row 3's number at the left side of the page then dragging down in that column and releasing the mouse key when you arrive at 6. Or, do that by clicking on the 3 then shift-clicking on the 6. Now use Insert → Rows. The number of rows inserted is the number of rows selected.

After you've selected some rows, shortcut key ⌘= or ⌘+ on a Mac will do Insert → Rows. I believe the shortcut key is Ctrl= or Ctrl+ on other platforms. I use a Mac and insert rows by selecting the desired number and using ⌘=.
mallomar wrote:I was selecting multiple blank rows (from the bottom of my Calc file), copying and inserting. No joy. One new row appears.
That procedure is not quite right. After copying the rows you would need to use Edit → Paste Special → Shift Cells → Down. But I think using Insert → Rows, as described above, is easier.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
njhub

Post by njhub »

Hi mallomar,

Try it this way: In the first line, paste

Code: Select all

= HYPERLINK ("# 2: 6"; "add rows")
Click "add rows" to select the area from line two to six.
In the menu Select "Insert Rows Above", you get five new blank lines.
mallomar.ods
(8.99 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
LibreOffice (fr_YT): 6.1.4.2 (26/12/2018)
mallomar

Post by mallomar »

Thanks for all of the quick responses!

MrProgrammer's method worked for me -- simple and fast.
OpenOffice 4.0 on Mac OX 10.6
Skompy

Re: [Solved] Is it possible to insert multiple blank rows?

Post by Skompy »

This is quite easy to do.
I just click on the first row where I want my range of empty rows to start, and then I hold down the mouse button and then drag the cursor/pointer down/up as many rows as I want. I will then have the number of rows that I want to insert, highlighted. Then I just press the Command key and the plus key on my keyboard (Mac) at the same time and I get the number of new empty rows that I want. The same process also works to delete rows too, using the Command and minus keys, as well as adding/deleting columns.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 AOO416m1(Build:9790) - Rev. 1844436
Mac OS X 10.13.6 (High Sierra) 32GB RAM

Saying "Never say never" says it.