Calc crashing - Bad Allocation

Discuss the spreadsheet application
i75Dave

Calc crashing - Bad Allocation

Post by i75Dave »

While working on accounts yesterday, Calc crashed 6-7 times and displayed the following error message - "OpenOffice 4.1.5 - Fatal Error ! Bad Allocation"
Any thoughts to correct this situation?
Dave.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Win 7 64bit
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Calc crashing - Bad Allocation

Post by John_Ha »

Let me Google that for you: OpenOffice Fatal Error Bad Allocation.

You could also search the forum with fatal allocation.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
i75Dave

Post by i75Dave »

Thanks for the reply but have Googled and searched the Forum. There are certainly a number of comments about the "Allocation Error" but it appears that it may be a software problem within OO Calc.
I am now getting about 8 bad allocations crashes per session. Am saving after just about every operation and then repairing the file.
Not a lot of fun since I'm halfway through a corporate year-end accounting session.
Any more suggestions apart from returning to Excel?
Dave.
jonrick

Post by jonrick »

I've had the same error with ver 4.1.5. It was a very simple Calc spreadsheet with a graph.
Open Office 4.1.5
Windows 10
i75Dave

Post by i75Dave »

We have just finished our company's fiscal year end which requires input and updating at least 28 financial exhibits plus a general ledger and T/balance. The bad allocation made this year's reporting a horror story!

We received the "Bad Allocation" error message about 6 times while working on each exhibit, and had to reload OO and go through the repair process. We finally got through the year end by saving the exhibit after every 2 -3 entries.

Questions:
1. Is anybody looking into this problem?
2. Is this something inherent in release 4.1.5? Should we go back to 4.1.4 since this appears to be a problem which did not occur before the last update.
3. Tools -> Help - Check for Update, results in a message "Checking for an update failed - Error reading data from the Internet. Server error message." So, has there been an update to correct this situation?

Thanks for any help or guidance from any OO expert.

Dave
CFO, Mile Oak Publishing Inc.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Are you using Windows 7 or some other version of Windows?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
i75Dave

Post by i75Dave »

I'm using Windows 10 64 bit version 1803 - the latest version.

I should mention I have been using this OS for several years but this problem only started about two month's ago. We have also transferred our financial data to two other Win 10 computers in our office running the same OS and OO versions, with similar results.

Dave.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This is almost certainly caused by the Aug 15th Microsoft Update. The solution is reported to be to uninstall update KB4343909

Once KB4343909 is uninstalled, it should revert to July 11, 2018 update KB4338819; however, I understand that Win 10 keeps pushing the KB4343909 update, so you may have to monitor for it and uninstall regularly untll the problem with it is fixed.

Keep monitoring this forum - some Windows user will probably let us know when it is fixed (I don't use Windows).
 Edit: A link in this post
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=94690&p=452095#p452095
offers a method to prevent KB4343909 reinstalling. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I run LibreOffice 5.4 on Windows 10 with KB4343909 and without problems.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
givesone

Solved? Re: Calc crashing - Bad Allocation

Post by givesone »

I had the same problem. I have Open Office 4.1.5 installed on Windows 10. I recovered the document which is an Invoice and I formatted one of the cells to text, which is what it contained. That solved my problem. Good Luck.
Open Office 4.1.5/Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Search the Calc forum with bad allocation.

I quickly found that it seems to be a bug which only affects very large files - see Issue 125006 - Calc Consistently crashing, usually with "Fatal Error - Bad Allocation"

You might like to switch to LibreOffice and see if LO is better as it is almost certain never to be fixed in AOO - it was reported in 2014.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.