[Solved] Checking similar values of multiple cells

Discuss the spreadsheet application
lizard

[Solved] Checking similar values of multiple cells

Post by lizard »

Here's one I'm getting a headache over.

So I need a SUM value based on two factors.
1. The value of the cell
2. The type of value of the cell

From there the SUM needs to be equal to the value of all cells, but if a type of value is the same only add into the sum the higher of the two.

Attached file because even that statement is confusing me. :P
Attachments
checkshelp.ods
(11.39 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Last edited by lizard on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10, Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
RusselB

Re: Checking similar values of multiple cells

Post by RusselB »

While I wasn't able to get something to actually work, I have a feeling that the SUMPRODUCT function is your best bet.
While I have used the function occasionally, when it gets to the more complicated operations, which the function can handle, I usually end up screwing something up.
There are a few helpers on here that have helped me get the function to work properly for my needs, so I'm hoping one of them will have a brainstorm.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

See my array formulas in cells B1, C1, and D1. Note that array formulas require ⇑⌘Enter on a Mac or Ctrl+Shift+Enter on other platforms. If you type an array formula but press Enter instead, correct your mistake with Edit → Undo, then try again. In addition to the link above you can read about array formulas in Help → Index or in User Guides (PDF) or searching for topics about them in the Calc Forum.
201808152241.ods
(11.61 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
lizard

Post by lizard »

Well done MrProgrammer.

Thank you very much.
Windows 10, Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1