[Solved] Ignoring #DIV/0! Errors with AVERAGEIF.

Discuss the spreadsheet application
lawlore

[Solved] Ignoring #DIV/0! Errors with AVERAGEIF.

Post by lawlore »

Hi all. Been toying with this one for a while now, and not managed to come up with a solution- any help much appreciated.

Column A is for days of the week.
Column B has names of staff, which are entered as they work shifts- one name can appear several times due to them working on different days.
Column C has their sales of regular size of Product A.
Column D has their sales of large size of Product A.
Column E has =D4/(C4+D4) to work out a daily percentage of large size of Product A sold.

Columns CDE repeat for two other products in columns FGH and IJK- these can largely be ignored for the purposes of this explanation, as it's just a repetition of the same issue. But so far, so straightforward.

What I'm trying to do is put together a separate table with a formula to pull together the weekly averages of the percentages for each individual staff members for a particular product, with the Staff Member names listed in Column M. At present it looks like this, in Column N:

=AVERAGEIF($B$4:$B$51;M5;$E$4:$E$51)

As long as there's data, the formula works OK. The problem arises when there's no data for a staff member- when they've sold neither regular nor large, giving the #DIV/0! error in column E. This leads to the error being included when the average is calculated, giving a repeat of the same error in Column N regardless of other, valid, entries.

At first I considered a simple IF function in Column E to test whether the result was greater than zero, and produce " " if it was not:

=IF(D4/(C4+D4)>0;D4/(C4+D4);" ")

This didn't work, and in fact took me a step away from it, as 0 could potentially be a valid result (selling one regular and no large size, giving 0%), but was now being represented as " ", leading to the AVERAGEIF to exclude it altogether in calculation and produce a result from the other data. As such, although I had a close look at this thread, it didn't quite give me what I needed.

I've also tried modifying the AVERAGEIF formula, even replacing it with LOOKUP and COUNTIF functions, adding extra columns to try and work through it step-by-step, but tied myself in knots- I just cannot seem to find a way of excluding error results without also excluding valid zero value results. I get the impression the solution lies somewhere in performing a TRUE/FALSE test to check whether a cell contains a valid value or an error, but have to admit I'm learning as I go here and don't have a great deal of familiarity with the functions required to do that.

Any assistance would be much appreciated- happy to attach the doc/screenshots if requested.
Last edited by lawlore on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 running on Windows 7.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Ignoring #DIV/0! Errors with AVERAGEIF.

Post by Zizi64 »

try the
IF(ISBLANK(range);"";calculated value)
function
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Alex1
Volunteer

Post by Alex1 »

Isn't it better to calculate the percentages from the weekly totals?
Sum of regular sizes:

Code: Select all

=SUMIF($B$4:$B$51;M5;$C$4:$C$51)
Sum of large sizes:

=SUMIF($B$4:$B$51;M5;$D$4:$D$51)
Then calculate the percentage from these results. You will get different, but more meaningful results.
The chance of dividing by zero will be much smaller.
AOO 4.1.15 & LO 24.2.2 on Windows 10
Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

I'm sure there are a number of different strategies and methodologies each with its pros and cons of elegance, readability, and effectiveness.

I use if(isblank()) a lot, but it may be more meaningful to use if(iserror()) because you're looking for errors not blanks.

Just for future reference, if you're also filtering calculation results that have a formula that returns "", you can't use isblank() because the cell has a formula, not a blank.
In that case you can use if (A1 <> ""; Result1; Result2)
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

If you post a file with sample data you help us to help you. Use your original file if it doesn't contain any confidential info, or a copy with names mangled and other irrelevant info removed.

We can always guess why the errors might have occurred, but real data beats guessing every time.
lawlore

Post by lawlore »

Alex1 makes a very valid point about taking the average for overall sales for the week, rather than the average of each of the daily percentages, so I've modified to the following:

=(SUMIF($B$4:$B$51;M5;$D$4:$D$51))/((SUMIF($B$4:$B$51;M5;$C$4:$C$51))+(SUMIF($B$4:$B$51;M5;$D$4:$D$51)))

I've attached the spreadsheet as it stands- there's nothing confidential on there. With the new formula it does take into account valid 0% entries (as is the case for Lee's 0% sales), meaning the only remaining issue is hiding the #DIV/0! errors when there is no data at all (e.g. Beth for PM).
Attachments
Upsell Tracker WIP.xls
(30 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
OpenOffice 4.1.5 running on Windows 7.
Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

=(SUMIF($B$4:$B$51;M5;$D$4:$D$51))/((SUMIF($B$4:$B$51;M5;$C$4:$C$51))+(SUMIF($B$4:$B$51;M5;$D$4:$D$51)))
So, you can simply test for an error:

if (
iserror(=(SUMIF($B$4:$B$51;M5;$D$4:$D$51))/((SUMIF($B$4:$B$51;M5;$C$4:$C$51))+(SUMIF($B$4:$B$51;M5;$D$4:$D$51))));
"";
)
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

A matter of structured simplicity. WIth the right table layout you don't need a single formula.
And as always, a database would be far easier to use.
Attachments
upsell.ods
(83.05 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice