[Solved] Drop Down: Get Value to a Cell from a 3rd Cell

Discuss the spreadsheet application
lizard

[Solved] Drop Down: Get Value to a Cell from a 3rd Cell

Post by lizard »

I see a lot of bits about how to do this out there, but I'm not puzzling them together. So, community, enlighten me.

Specifically, I'm making an RPG sheet. So I have:

STR | =SUM
DEX | =SUM
CON | =SUM
INT | =SUM
WIS | =SUM
CHA | =SUM

Then Later I want:

Drop Down Menu (STR:CHA) [figured that half out] | =SUM of cell adjacent to choice in drop down menu.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Windows 10, Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Drop Down Option, Get Value to a Cell from a 3rd Cell

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload your real ODF sample file here.

(Click on the Postreply - but not on the Quick Reply - button, and use the "Upload attachement" TAB below the post edit window.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Sorry, I don't completely follow what you need. As I understand it, you have a cell with a drop down list of possible text values. When a text is chosen, you want the neighboring cell to contain a numeric value related to the text. You call the numeric value "=SUM of cell adjacent to choice in drop down menu" but there is no need to use a SUM if a single cell contains the value. My guess is that you need to use the VLOOKUP() function. Take a look at the attached file and see if it does what you want. Change the text in A1 and the number in B1 will change.
Attachments
VLOOKUP.ods
(8.21 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
lizard

Post by lizard »

That example did it, thank you.

Follow up question, what are the last numbers in the VLOOKUP string about? ;2;0
Windows 10, Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Follow up question, what are the last numbers in the VLOOKUP string about? ;2;0
See the HELP:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... P_function
VLOOKUP(lookupvalue; datatable; columnindex; mode)

lookupvalue is a value (number, text or logical value) to look up in the left column of the range/array datatable. When a value is matched in the left column, VLOOKUP returns the corresponding value (in the same row) in the columnindexth column of datatable, where columnindex = 1 is the left column.

If mode is 0 or FALSE, the left column of datatable may be unordered, and the first exact match is found (searching from the top).

If mode is 1 or TRUE, or is omitted, the left column of datatable must be sorted, with numbers in ascending order appearing before text values in alphabetic order. VLOOKUP decides where in the left column lookupvalue would appear. If there is an exact match, that is the row found; if there is more than one exact match, the row found is not necessarily nearest the top. If there is no exact match, the row above where value would appear in the left column is found; the #N/A error results if that row is not in the table.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.