[Solved] Crashes over and over again

Discuss the spreadsheet application
EinarFlydal

[Solved] Crashes over and over again

Post by EinarFlydal »

My Open Office spreadsheet crashes over and over again. The sheet is a simple adress list with 245 rows and 9 columns.
It started after I over and over again tried to set up a simple database to write envelope labels.
The automatic correction does not work. Restarting Open office does not solve it. Restarting the computer does not solve it.
And copying the data from the spreadsheet to an empty one neither does.
Any suggestions as to what to do would be helpful.

Einar
Last edited by EinarFlydal on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows10
RusselB

Re: Crashes over and over again

Post by RusselB »

Did you try resetting your user profile?
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
EinarFlydal

Re: Crashes over and over again

Post by EinarFlydal »

Thanks for replying!
Did not know what that is about. After several attempts, I de-installed the entire Open Office and re-installed it. Still there was something. Seems it had to do with the database. I deleted all database files and rebuilt new ones. Seems it works now.
RusselB

Re: [Solved] Crashes over and over again

Post by RusselB »

Resetting the user profile resolves a lot of problems that appear to have no other cause.
Reinstalling OpenOffice does not reset your user profile.
Since you deleted the databases that were causing the trouble, and now the trouble is gone, makes me think that one of your databases had gotten corrupted.
I don't know if you can restore the deleted files or not, but if you can, the problem might be found by doing a comparison between the old file and the new one using a XML viewer/editor.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
EinarFlydal

Re: Solved but still unsolved: Crashes over and over again

Post by EinarFlydal »

RusselB,
It was not the database. I solved that part. Now, the word processor crashes almost as soon as that.
Resetting the user profile turned out to be harder than I thought. The words profile, user profile or - in Norwegian - brukerprofil - do not appear in the Help pages. Do you mean where the menus etc can be re-set?

E
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Delete or rename your OpenOffice user profile.

In Windows do this by:

Close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar (not the search engine) and press Enter. File Explorer may also be called Windows Explorer. Rename the "user" folder, say to user.old. Start OpenOffice.
When you restart OpenOffice, you should be prompted for name/initials on next startup of OO.

Resetting the user profile
[Tutorial]The OpenOffice User Profile
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
EinarFlydal

Post by EinarFlydal »

Thank you, robleyd! Seems it was the thing to do!

EF