How to unlink sheet formatting within a spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
ColoQuery

How to unlink sheet formatting within a spreadsheet

Post by ColoQuery »

Using OO 4.1.2 on Windows 10. I use multiple worksheets in a single spreadsheet to manage financial information. Always, I have been able to format each sheet completely independently regarding column width, margins, etc. Spreadsheets are saved in *.xls format. Suddenly, the page/sheet formatting, specifically for column width, appears to be linked among multiple worksheets within the spreadsheet. If I change column width in "sheet A" it is also changed on "sheet B," which causes headaches on "sheet B"! I have checked -- no "links" are marked in the "Format Page" area of any page. Help would be appreciated! I'd like to solve this issue before considering updating to 4.1.5. Thanks!
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows Vista
FJCC

Re: How to unlink sheet formatting within a spreadsheet

Post by FJCC »

Is more than one sheet tab selected? Use Ctrl + Click on sheet tabs to select/deselect multiple sheets.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
ColoQuery

Post by ColoQuery »

No, I am sure multiples have not been selected, since I didn't know multiple pages/sheets could be selected.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Even though you didn't realize that multiple sheets could be selected, it's possible (I've done it myself) where you accidentally hit or have a CTRL key that is stuck when selecting another sheet.
To you, unless you're paying very careful attention, the difference in the display is unnoticeable, however, to the computer, you now have two (or possibly more) sheets selected.
I find this happens most often as an accident, and that one of the CTRL keys on my keyboard has gotten stuck in the down position.
It can be very hard to tell if that is what happened, and hard to overcome as the only option for most people is to just keep hitting the CTRL key and trying to select just a single sheet.
It can be frustrating.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

(Concerning the sub-subject)
The indistinctness of sheet multiselection under default settings is (the) one good reason to set noticeable tab colours (may be one colour for all tabs). For selected sheets the colouring is reduced to a part of the tab area in a way as if the sheet name is underscored in colour. Unfortunately I don't know a way to set a sheet colour for a multilselection of sheets in one go. I have to do it for one sheet at a time.

(Concerning the original subject)
@ColoQuery: If the issue is definitely not related to multiselection, please attach an example (.ods) showing the problem for you.

You may first try to run your AOO without your user profile. Rename the profile temporarily for the purpose. Sometimes strange errors are due to user profile corruption.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
ColoQuery

Post by ColoQuery »

I so appreciate your several suggestions and examples. Thank you! I also realize my initial response as to whether I might have inadvertently selected multiple sheets/pages, sounded a bit arrogant -- and I really didn't mean for it to! I will try your suggestions of resaving the file with a new file name, and seeing if that might make a change; also changing the file extension back to *.ods and then resaving as *.xls to see if that makes a difference. If those attempts are unsuccessful, I will attach examples. Again, thanks much for your attention and suggestions. Things can get pretty bewildering, without being able to find a specific cause (and yes, I've checked my Control keys!)