[Solved] How to write multiple if statement past limit?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Veda

[Solved] How to write multiple if statement past limit?

Post by Veda »

Hi, I have a long "IF" formula to make but other than I don't want to write out such a thing the other problem is the limit of "IF" is not enough. I notice from one google search result that there is a IFS function but I can't find that in open office.

What is needed is something like this: =IF(A1=FRED;1;IF(A2=BILL;2;IF(etc... Or using something like IFS(A1=FRED;1;A2=BILL;2;A3=REG;3; etc...

I need to do this x 85 statements so what can I do to achieve this (other than use excel)? Does Libreoffice have the IFS upgrade?

Cheers,
Rob
Last edited by Veda on Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10, open office 4.1.5
FJCC

Re: How to write multiple if statement past limit?

Post by FJCC »

You should not use the IF() function for this. VLOOKUP() can do this simply. Make a table where the first column is the names and the second column is the values. If that information is in the range D1:E6, you can then use a formula like

Code: Select all

=VLOOKUP(A1;D1:E6;2;0)
See the attached file for an example. Maintaining a table with 85 entries is far easier than dealing with 85 nested IFs.
Attachments
VLOOKUP.ods
(8.77 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Veda

Re: How to write multiple if statement past limit?

Post by Veda »

FJCC wrote:You should not use the IF() function for this. VLOOKUP() can do this simply. Make a table where the first column is the names and the second column is the values. If that information is in the range D1:E6, you can then use a formula like

Code: Select all

=VLOOKUP(A1;D1:E6;2;0)
See the attached file for an example. Maintaining a table with 85 entries is far easier than dealing with 85 nested IFs.
Thanks, I did see the vlookup function as an alternative from a google search but didn't understand how that would work. Ok, I will have a go at that, thanks a lot.
Last edited by Veda on Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veda

Re: [Solved] How to write multiple if statement past limit?

Post by Veda »

Thanks for the replies, I watched a youtube tutorial vid on vlookup and got it to work as required.