Auto advance to next cell using scanner

Discuss the spreadsheet application
statusunknown03

Auto advance to next cell using scanner

Post by statusunknown03 »

Hi all,
Using a handheld scanner, once an item is scanned, I would like the option to tell Calc to AUTOMATICALLY jump to the next cell (to the right or down - the next cell any direction I choose).

Pardon me is there is an actual answer to this WITHOUT remapping keyboard keys.

Where can this be set ?
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on win 7 pro
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: auto advance to next cell using scanner

Post by Lupp »

The scanner sending the code to a cell should finish this by sending the 'Enter' signal, and Calc should respond as if the 'Enter' key was pressed. If the option

Code: Select all

Openoffice Calc >General > Input settings >Press Enter to move selection (Down)
is enabled, this should happen. How to order your scanner to send the signal, I don't know. Refer to the manual.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
keme
Volunteer

Re: auto advance to next cell using scanner

Post by keme »

For some scanners, you can choose termination character (TAB, CR, UP, DOWN) depending on the type of input. As Lupp says, refer to the manual.
If the data has a consistent layout, you can set the scanner to terminate each entry with TAB instead of CR, then unprotect the data entry range and protect the sheet.
Bald Eagle

Re: Auto advance to next cell using scanner

Post by Bald Eagle »

I actually do this fairly regularly.
I use a CODE scanner, and the scanned barcode data gets entered, and the "cursor" jumps down to the next lower cell.

Keme's suggestion is intriguing:
"If the data has a consistent layout, you can set the scanner to terminate each entry with TAB instead of CR, then unprotect the data entry range and protect the sheet."

Keme, do you mean that once the cursor tabs over to the protected area, it will jump down a row, and go back to the first column?
THAT would be wonderful indeed.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
Alex1
Volunteer

Post by Alex1 »

On a protected sheet, tab will simply move the cursor to the next unprotected cell.
AOO 4.1.15 & LO 7.5.9 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Open the input form in the attached database. It accepts strings of 13 charachters (like EAN codes) adding an automatic time stamp to each record.
With a product table you can also display the product details.
Attachments
EAN13.odb
(12.99 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice