[Solved] Calc MSSQL Query with Variables from Cell Values

Discuss the spreadsheet application
beersuser

[Solved] Calc MSSQL Query with Variables from Cell Values

Post by beersuser »

Hi,
I am trying to create a Spreadsheet that pulls data from an MSSQL database, based on certain criteria held in two cells on the same Spreadsheet.

The cells contain a 'from date' and a 'to date'.

I have created a query in Base that works - it effectively pulls out all records from the DB, where the Date is between two specified dates e.g.

Code: Select all

select * from "AttendanceData" where "Date" >= '2018-01-01' and "Date" <= '2018-06-30'
To create this with variables, I have used the query:

select * from "AttendanceData" where "Date" >= :d1 and "Date" <= :d2
This prompts me for the two dates, which I can input manually, and the results are shown.

I am trying to set the sheet up so that it can automatically populate the :d1 and :d2 from two cell values in the spreadsheet.

The date cells themselves are generated by the user selecting a 'period' from a validated list e.g. user selects 'Week 1' from the list and the two dates are vlookups to a small table within the spreadsheet, containing the 'period' in column 1, the 'from date' in column 2 and the 'to date' in column 3.

So, I have the query with the variables, I have the date cells, just no way to join the 2 together...

I have gone down a number of rabbit holes with this one, trying to find a simple way to have the query pull the variables from cell values but it just seems to be getting more complex - besides the simple solution I'm looking for, I've also looked at putting the variables and sql statement into a macro (couldn't quite get this working as I was unable to 'populate' the spreadsheet with the sql statement results - it seemed to only populate 1 cell) and I am currently looking at forms/controls based on these posts:

http://ooo-forums.apache.org/en/forum/v ... 6&p=416321
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17876

I have managed to replicate the work done on the 'Report' tab from the first post, using my own MSSQL database (even though I don't need 4 controls, I have created them anyway as 'EmployeeName', 'Branch', 'DateFrom' and 'DateTo'), but I cannot quite get it to work - I have 2 small issues:

1) My drop down lists are often 'greyed out' for a few minutes, but do eventually come back to life with their contents (the list is a 'Grouped By' list - I'm guessing I need to make a smaller, non grouped list)
2) Sometimes, my Date Control Drop Downs do not bring up the calendar selection. Sometimes they work fine.

My main issue though, is a showstopper:

1) My 'Filter' Table (also held in the MSSQL DB) is not updating when I fill out the form and click away from the form using the 'OK' button (tied to a seperate 'Dummy' form).

Ultimately, I'd like to simply use the cell values to populate the query and that is the solution I am looking for. However, I am open to other methods i.e. forms/macros etc

I can post my work if needs be, but I'll need to anonymise it first, so just posting this request for help before I do that.

For reference though, the macro I was trying, looks like this (hopefully you'll get the idea):

Sub Connect2
	sheets = ThisComponent.Sheets
	sheet1 = sheets.getByIndex(0)
	cellC1 = sheet1.getCellByPosition(2,0)
	cellC1Text = cellC1.String
	cellD1 = sheet1.getCellByPosition(3,0)
	cellD1Text = cellD1.String
    Context = CreateUnoService("com.sun.star.sdb.DatabaseContext")
    DATABASE_NAME = "Attendance"
    Db = Context.getByName(DATABASE_NAME)
    Conn = Db.getConnection("","") 

strSQL = "SELECT ""Payweek"", ""EmployeeName"", ""EmployeeID"", SUM( ""StdHoursTotal"" ) AS ""StdHoursTotal"", SUM( ""OTHoursTotal"" ) AS ""OTHoursTotal"" FROM ""Attendance"".""dbo"".""AttendanceData"" WHERE ( ""PayWeek"" BETWEEN '" &  cellC1Text & "' AND '" &  cellD1Text & "' ) GROUP BY ""PayWeek"", ""EmployeeName"", ""EmployeeID"" ORDER BY ""EmployeeID"""
msgbox strSQL

Stmt = Conn.createStatement()

REM This allows forward & back scrolling & the necessary checking of 'isBeforeFirst'
    Stmt.ResultSetType = com.sun.star.sdbc.ResultSetType.SCROLL_INSENSITIVE
    Result = Stmt.executeQuery(strSQL)
    Result.next
 outputValue = Result.getDouble(1)
     MsgBox Result.getDouble(1)
     MsgBox DATABASE_NAME
MsgBox cellC1Text & " - " & cellD1Text
     outputCell = sheet1.getCellByPosition(0,4)
	 outputCell.String = outputValue

End Sub
I'm a bit stuck now.
Last edited by beersuser on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice Version: 5.3.6.1 (x64)
Windows 10 Pro (x64)
beersuser

Re: Calc MSSQL Query with Variables from Cell Values

Post by beersuser »

To answer my own question:
I think I have a solution. It involves a macro to update the filter table and refresh an import range (more on the import range further down):

Sub Connect2
	Sheets = ThisComponent.Sheets
	Sheet1 = Sheets.getByIndex(0)
	CellC1 = Sheet1.getCellByPosition(2,0)
	CellC1Text = CellC1.String
	CellD1 = Sheet1.getCellByPosition(3,0)
	CellD1Text = CellD1.String
	Context = CreateUnoService("com.sun.star.sdb.DatabaseContext")
	DBName = "Attendance"
	DB = Context.getByName(DBName)
	Conn = DB.getConnection("","") 
	Stmt = Conn.createStatement()
	Stmt.executeupdate("update ""Filter"" set ""D1"" = '" &  cellC1Text & "', ""D2"" = '" &  cellD1Text & "' where ""FID"" = '1'")
	ThisComponent.DatabaseRanges.getByName("Import1").refresh()
End Sub
Create a query against the main data table using LibreOffice base, referencing the filter table:

SELECT "A"."Payweek", "A"."Branch", "A"."EmployeeName", "A"."StdHoursTotal", "A"."OTHoursTotal" FROM "AttendanceData" AS "A", "Filter" AS "F" WHERE "F"."FID" = 1 AND ( "A"."Payweek" >= "F"."D1" OR "F"."D1" IS NULL ) AND ( "A"."Payweek" <= "F"."D2" OR "F"."D2" IS NULL ) ORDER BY "Payweek" DESC
Drag this query from the data ranges window onto the worksheet (If no other named ranges are present, calc will assign the name 'Import1' to the range)

Tie them together with a button that runs the macro and voila! Click the button and your data appears.

Looks good to me - hope this helps someone else. Thanks to all the other posts that brought me to this solution. Not sure it's the right way to do it, but it's 'a way' at least.
LibreOffice Version: 5.3.6.1 (x64)
Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Calc MSSQL Query with Variables from Cell Values

Post by Villeroy »

Without macro or with one line of Basic code: viewtopic.php?t=88516&p=416210#p416210
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice