[Solved] Calc Dropdown various Sort combinations

Discuss the spreadsheet application
morphingstar

[Solved] Calc Dropdown various Sort combinations

Post by morphingstar »

I have a CALC table, range labels in row 100, data rows 101-600, Col C to N.
The SORT range does not change.
I want to sort this data in various ways, meaning the selected sort columns change. Autofilter ALL is applied.
I want 4 preferred sort definitions, example
Col A,C,D,F
Col A,D,F,C
Col A,F,C,H
Col A,H,C,B
The SORT result should show in the same window in the same range.

I know how to choose VALIDITY, using a cell range for some other drop down menu operation.
I don't know how to predefine the 3 OO or 4 LO Sort selections which refer to the column labels in row 100 into the SORT function.
A complete answer might include all the SORT options shown on main menu DATA-range, then SORT
Can it be done, how?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OO 4.1.6 on Win10. Member since StarOffice 7. Alternative name "morphingstar2" when other fails. Use Writer, Calc (as DB + Calc), Draw. Impress mainly for Eyedropper and animating GIFs. Updated 20190716.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Calc Dropdown various Sort combinations

Post by Villeroy »

Trivial to do in Base.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Rather complicated to implement in Calc, but I did it 11 years ago: viewtopic.php?t=1254&p=4902#p4902 (to be modified for more than one sort field)
Last edited by Villeroy on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

morphingstar wrote:I want to sort this data in various ways, meaning the selected sort columns change [based on a dropdown].
Build a concatenated sort key of the values in the columns selected by the dropdown. Sort by the concatenated key.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

If you have a regular list with not gaps and one first row of text-only column headers:
Col A,C,D,F click anywhere in F, sort button, D, sort button, C, sort button, A, sort button
Col A,D,F,C click anywhere in C, sort button, F, sort button, D, sort button, A, sort button
Col A,F,C,H click anywhere in H, sort button, C, sort button, F, sort button, A, sort button
Col A,H,C,B click anywhere in B, sort button, C, sort button, H, sort button, A, sort button
Since Calc supports stable sorting, you just have click through the fields in opposite order.

If you have a regular list with not gaps and one first row of text-only column headers:
you can connect a Base document to your spreadsheet and create 4 queries. The queries can be linked back to a spreadsheet, even the same spreadsheet.