Adding images is extremely buggy

Discuss the spreadsheet application
diegowar

Adding images is extremely buggy

Post by diegowar »

Adding maybe a few images might work fine.

But I've been working on this project where I had data which was illustrated each time by images, and after a while it started to bug, usually after I would save some of the images would not appear and I would have to re-open the file to see them.

Annoying, but not a real problem as it only happened after a save.

The real deal-breaking bug is what I just realized... If you add too many pictures (I'm not sure how many), without your permission, OpenOffice Calc will start to delete some of the first pictures you added. The "objects" where the image is supposed to be is still there with the right dimensions you left it at, but it's empty, and the image is completely lost and irrecoverable.

I've lost about 20 hours of work because of this. :crazy:

The possibility to add pictures in the Calc file should just no exist if you risk losing all your data without even knowing it's happening.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Adding images is extremely buggy

Post by UnklDonald418 »

If you have many images, a Database might be a better tool than a Spreadsheet.
[Tutorial] Pictures in Base
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
diegowar

Post by diegowar »

I have discovered another problem with image insertion...

I was under the impression that some of the images that I was inserting were "not quite right", so I did a little experiment, and sure enough, there is another bug.

I took this picture here : https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/90 ... 00x400.jpg

If you download it and drag it over on Open Office Calc, it will appear like it should.

But if it's a file that has been made or modified in Microsoft Paint, well the file works everywhere just fine, except in Open Office Calc, where it is not the right proportions.
Attachments
Images from paint are not the right proportion.png
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

When you use the wrong tool(s) you can't expect perfection.
Spreadsheets are designed primarily to store, manipulate and display numeric data. Calc does offer limited image capabilities, but it is not the correct tool to use for image storage.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
diegowar

Post by diegowar »

I unfortunately see that now.

But for what I wanted to do (have an infinite page that I can easily put an undetermined number of images horizontally, next to some organized data to the left) it seemed to me the most ideal thing to use :(
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer.

In particular, never just paste an image from the web. Always process it through an image editor first.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I put together a quick demo using images in a Base database. You can download it from:
http://www.mediafire.com/?377esw9o1do10
Unzip and open the directory Demo24images.
Open the Demo24images.obd database.
Open the ImageEntry form.
As you move through the list of image names an associated image displays in the image control on the right.
The actual image files are stored in the Testimages sub-directory.
To add a new image to the database
Select the line with the yellow asterisk on the left.
Right click inside the outline of the image box on the right
Select the option “Insert Image from” to open the Insert Graphics dialog.
Navigate to the image you want to display and select Open to save the image location in the database. You can type a Name and Description if you like.
While not quite an infinite number of images, a database like this can hold up to 2^32 records.