Cell background colors semi-transparent?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
aoibhell

Cell background colors semi-transparent?

Post by aoibhell »

I inserted an image & sent to background. Is there a way to make the cell colors in the foreground to be semi-transparent so that the background image can show thru but the cell contents are still completely visible?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 @ OS.X
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Cell background colors semi-transparent?

Post by UnklDonald418 »

When I searched for "Background" in Open Office Help I found a statement “Background transparency can be set only for frames.” So, it appears you can't adjust the transparency of the background of a spreadsheet cell since it has no frame.
Instead of a colored cell background perhaps colored cell borders and/or colored characters in a cell might get close to what you want to achieve.

Since the image does have a frame, I tried adjusting the transparency of the image and moving it to the foreground. That achieved a visual effect similar to what I think you are seeking, but then navigation on the spreadsheet could only be accomplished using keys. Whenever I tried to use the mouse to select a cell behind the image it of course selected the foreground image.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I inserted an image & sent to background.
Please upload your ODF type sample file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
soby
Volunteer

Post by soby »

Set your image as watermark before sending the image to the background; then you can use the cell's like before.
Hope this helps
Libre Office 6.1 dev homebuild Open Office 4.1.5 on Slackware64 current
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Unfortunately, the recommendations by volunteer soby don't help.
According to Open Office Help
Watermark
The graphic object is raised in brightness and reduced in contrast so that it can be used in the background as a watermark.
Defining Graphics or Colors in the Background of Pages (Watermark)
In spreadsheets this background appears only in the print behind the cells not formatted elsewhere.

So, a cell with a background color will also block a watermark.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
aoibhell

Post by aoibhell »

Zizi64 wrote:
I inserted an image & sent to background.
Please upload your ODF type sample file here.
I'm trying to do something like this:

Not sure why thats not showing up, but you can see it here https://imgur.com/a/sUEzCAh
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 @ OS.X
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Post by erbsenzahl »

Workaround

Work on Writer. Put your data in a table (no background/transparent) and insert the table into a frame. After having applied, the frame's background's color can be set as transparent (0-100%). Located on a bitmap the bitmap's color and structure show depending on the frame's background's transparency.

It's a bit tricky and more work, of course. ;)
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro