Lost Sheets after Power Failure

Discuss the spreadsheet application
applesandoranges

Lost Sheets after Power Failure

Post by applesandoranges »

I opened a file and all but one of the sheets were gone. My boyfriend said this can happen if your computer crashes or there is a power failure (which did happen) while your file is open. I lost a lot of data and am... despondent. Is there anything I can do to get my data back? If this is something that can just happen, why use this program at all and risk such a catastrophic loss?
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: Lost Sheets after Power Failure

Post by MrProgrammer »

applesandoranges wrote:Is there anything I can do to get my data back?
Read section 6. Saving your data and making backups in Ten concepts that every Calc user should know. Hopefully you enabled Always create backup copy.
applesandoranges wrote:… why use this program at all and risk such a catastrophic loss?
Certainly use other software if it better meets your needs. But people here also report that they've been using OpenOffice on a regular basis for years without data-loss problems.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
applesandoranges

Post by applesandoranges »

Okie dokie, no need to get snooty. Checked a forum on a different site and think I might have found a solution.
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can check this one: [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files. The use of Photorec can help.

But a power loss with a file opened is quite critical, whatever the software. But AOO has some difficulties in such a case, that's agreed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
BlackRose

Post by BlackRose »

applesandoranges wrote:Okie dokie, no need to get snooty. Checked a forum on a different site and think I might have found a solution.
Mr. Programmer may be a bit too protective of the software. The point that should have been made is that any office suite is susceptible to power surges if they are open when the power surge happens. That's why surge protectors are of paramount importance.
Because hair belongs on the head, not in the hands.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10