[Solved] OpenOffice Calc date control problems

Discuss the spreadsheet application
hannihannelora

[Solved] OpenOffice Calc date control problems

Post by hannihannelora »

Hi,
I'm really confused about this date time control. I read a lot of articles, but I could'n find any that can help me.
My problem is that I would like to insert a date in a cell if I click on it. Some of the articles/ posts said that I can do that with date control. I tried it but I couldn't do it. The date control doesn't even have the calendar on it just a blank rectangle.

Can someone please help me writing down a step by step process to solve my problem, if it can be solved?

Last edited by hannihannelora on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 ; Windows 7
robleyd

Re: Open office calc date control problemes

Post by robleyd »

There are a few topics around the forum that touch on automatically inserting the current date. If that is all you want to achieve, start with this topic and follow the links in it and subsequent topics for more information.

If that isn't what you want to do, can you explain a little more what it is you want to achieve?

I suspect that having a date inserted when you click on a cell might not really be a good idea - for instance how would you then select a cell to edit or format?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
hannihannelora

Post by hannihannelora »

I made a drop down calendar, but I don't know how can I put it in each cells of a column?
OpenOffice 4.1.2 ; Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

This is a database feature. Calc is a spreadsheet. Spreadsheets and databases are different even though most of todays users try to use a spreadsheet as a database.

The Base component can edit database tables.
Database tables consists of records and fields.
Every field has a distinct type (integer, decimal, date, time, text, boolean, picture).
Base allows to create input forms for one or multiple interrelated tables.
A date control on a Base form is bound to a field of date values. You edit one date, move to another record, then edit the same date field in that record.
In a database the data storage is are strictly separated from data processing (calculation).

A spreadsheet is just a grid of unorganized single cells on sheets.
Every sheet can have multiple tables plus a bunch of unorganized values and formulas.
Each cell on a sheet can take any value or none.
Calc knows 3 types: text, formatted number and error.
There are no tables nor records nor fields on a spreadsheet. You may manage to organize sheet data in rectangles (tables) where every cell in the same column has the same type of value imitating a database field but this is not database a technical sense because the order can be overridden at any time.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice