Barcode Scanner to upload Data about product

Discuss the spreadsheet application
WildBillsNostalgia

Barcode Scanner to upload Data about product

Post by WildBillsNostalgia »

Hi all,
Im having a real hard time trying to figure this out. Here's my dilemma:

I am trying to implement a scanning system at a place with MILLIONS of items into a functional spreadsheet. I have a Ma'Damoo barcode scanner and I have the items. My query is, how do I get/use a preset database so that when I scan an item, the numerical string, product and quantity appear on the spreadsheet? The problem I am having is that I have no database. If I scan a barcode, all that pops up are the numbers and it will take decades to manually enter every single item description so there must be a way to scan an item and it pops up as, lets say, 830395034522 Dude : Bobblehead : 1. How can I make this happen?
Open Office 4 on Windows 7
robleyd

Re: Barcode Scanner to upload Data about product

Post by robleyd »

Use your Google skills ;)

There are sites that provide a service to lookup product info from barcodes, such as https://www.barcodelookup.com/ which claims to have over 92 million values available.

However I would suggest you look into software that is specifically designed for this purpose.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
WildBillsNostalgia

Post by WildBillsNostalgia »

Thats not what i asked.
Open Office 4 on Windows 7
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

The idea of scanning
MILLIONS of items
into a spreadsheet seems dubious to me. I think that you would be better off with a database.

However as robleyd suggests, you probably would be better off with dedicated software. A quick suggests that there is a lot of sorftware, some free, that might do the job.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04