[Solved] Can I sort this by date?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Skyknight416

[Solved] Can I sort this by date?

Post by Skyknight416 »

I've got a Calc spreadsheet that I've used as a backup to a DVD database program I use to track all my movies. There was a point in time where I stopped using the DB program because a language pack I had installed wound up causing problems with it and it would take something like five minutes of waiting and cycling through error messages before it would work for each DVD I'd enter.

Recently I've upgraded to Windows 10 and the DB application is now working again. I'd like to get it back up to speed but I don't want to have to go through every single movie to see if it's already there or not. So here's the question: Is there some way to arrange the titles in Calc so they show up by date when the date was never a value I entered in the first place? I would think or I would hope that somewhere in the metadata there's a value that says what date it was actually inputted.

I know this is a longshot but right now it's the easiest way I can figure out how to add what I'm missing without having to check every single title.

Thank you.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Skyknight416

Re: Can I sort this by date?

Post by Skyknight416 »

Never mind about this, I figured out a workaround.

Thanks anyway.
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10 Home 64 bit
RoryOF

Re: Can I sort this by date?

Post by RoryOF »

Alphabetical listing should be simpler and faster.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Can I sort this by date?

Post by Lupp »

Skyknight416 wrote:Never mind about this, I figured out a workaround. ...
Forums aren't one-way, and a thread should not exclusively be useful for the one user who created it.

Thus:

If you find a solution or a (reusable) workaround for a problem you had: Please post it!

By the way: Creation date is often a relevant information concerning a new data record. We should consider to dedicate a field to it.
Spreadsheets don't worry about data history. They just keep or renew an equilibrium defined by their formulas..
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München