Distort some cells when opening a xlsx file.

Discuss the spreadsheet application
vic7tar

Distort some cells when opening a xlsx file.

Post by vic7tar »

Hello.
Here is a screenshot on which the MS Excel sheet is displayed in OO Calc:
I draw your attention that there is a line break in the cells A1 and B1.
Why is this happening?
Thank you in advance.
Attachments
forum.xlsx
source file to open in OO Calc
(8.38 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
OpenOffice 4.1.5, Windows 10x64
RoryOF

Re: Distort some cells when opening a xlsx file.

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice does not offer unqualified support for Microsoft file formats. Its native format for spreadsheets is .ods
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
vic7tar

Post by vic7tar »

Excuse me, but can I have a little more?
The data structure on the sheet is very simple, is the presence of a line break in the cell can cause such effects?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The xlsx (and generally the OOXML) fileformat described in an International Standard.
(The ODF was the first of these electronic document standards)
Unfortunately the OOXML standard of the Microsoft has two paralell, but basicly different versions: The Transitional and the Strict ones. The "Strict" version is a relatively well documented standard, but the MS has set the "Transitional" one as the default file type of the MSOffice. The MS often changes the rules of the Transitional version - without any published documentation.

Use the real Standard ODF file formats. (ODF = Open Document Format) It is a very stable, fully documented standard of the electronic documents. Use the .ods type in this case.

You can try the LibreOffice: it has a littlebit higher compatibility with the foreign file formats, and with the never standardized binary MSO file formats, because the development of the LO is more faster than the development of the AOO.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Here is an attached picture, how your document is appeared in my LO 5.4.5 version.
LO_xlsx.png
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
vic7tar

Post by vic7tar »

Tibor, thanks for the clarification, I know that in Libre this file is displayed normally.
A little bit more detailed - I create files outside the MS Excel environment, I use the free library https://libxlsxwriter.github.io, which forms xlsx files of MS Excel format 2007.
But the generated files should be opened in AOO Calc.
Still it is not clear why under some conditions everything is normal, but for others - incomprehensible things (I mean screenshot).